First critique victim.

warman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hehehe, fire away. :D
spirits.jpg

This was shot in an ancient burrial ground in northern Portugal, i used a GND, polarizer and skylight to get this. What most amazes me is the weird effect that the sun caused, sort of like smoke right above the tomb.
Very unerving to see after having been shooting eerie places.:)

Little to dark for my liking, and that glare throws me off.

Thats just the thing, what kind of flare is that? I mean, i have had LOTS of flares but never seen nothing like it!!!
I know its too dark, i imediatly shot another with another GND ending up with 4 pieces of glass in front of the lens, exact same angle and no flare whatsoever... its intriguing to say the least.

I think the flare may be due to diffraction effects, caused by the low angle rays of the sun, shining past the very edge of the cliffs.

Well, it could but i had my circular polarizer on so shouldnt that vanish?

warman said:
Well, it could but i had my circular polarizer on so shouldnt that vanish?
Judging by the photo, you were directly facing the sun, in that case the polariser won't have any effect on the pic, except to reduce exposure, for a polariser to work effectively on skys, you have to be at about a 45 degree angle to the sun.

Harry99 said:
I think the flare may be due to diffraction effects, caused by the low angle rays of the sun, shining past the very edge of the cliffs.

I assumed from this phrase that you were speaking about specular reflections from the hills. I still dont see how i could get a flare with 3 filters and none with 4 filters in the exact same position.

warman said:
Harry99 said:

I assumed from this phrase that you were speaking about specular reflections from the hills. I still dont see how i could get a flare with 3 filters and none with 4 filters in the exact same position.

Filters can cause flare, the more filters you have on your lens, the more likely you are to get flare, light reflects off both surfaces of the filter, and bounces around inside the lens, this is less likely to occur if your filters are multicoated, polarising filters can reduce reflections, but they cannot prevent flare.

I am probably being a little confusing so i will try to write as clear as i can. :D

The image i presented: GND cokin 121, hoya circular polarizer, kaiser skylight filter. I got a flare.
Now, the sun is too bright so i noted that i needed another GND and i simply fited another one into my cokin holder.
Second image: 2 X GND cokin 121, hoya pozarizer, kaiser skylight filter and NO flare.

This is why i dont think that the effect on the photo shown here is a flare.
And i totaly agree with what you said Harry, i should have had an even bigger flare but the fact remains i got not at all with 4 filters.

Note: This response is sarcastic due to the stupidity I've encountered in other areas of my life today.

Just call it "The Ascention" and sell in on ebay next to the grilled cheese sandwich with the virgin mary's face on it.

Last I read, the 10 year old grilled cheese was going for 16 grand.........you should be able to pick up a few bucks for the picture.

Now seriously:

Post the second picture so we can see if anything else changed....like the angle of the sun.

deb said:
Now seriously:

Post the second picture so we can see if anything else changed....like the angle of the sun.

I totally agree :)

Not realy, i just zoomed in. :)
Oh and the colour was a Yellow color grad.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back