First critique

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by Ant, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Ant

Ant TPF Noob!

OK. I'm ready for my baptism of fire with some serious critique 8)

This photo has become one of my favourites and is currently my desktop wallpaper. The only thing I can think of for some improvement is maybe a slight crop on the top and the bottom, other than that I can't see how it can be improved....but then I'm a photo newbie so I'd like your honest input.

Thanks

[​IMG]

2. hobbes28

hobbes28 Incredible Supporting Member

The only thing that I could suggest is straightening out the lean. I'm a terrible leaner so I have to fix that a lot. Other than that, it's a wonderful picture.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's a nice photo.

The horizon is fairly tilted but that can easily be fixed. I would crop the runway out and maybe some of the sky off the top.

Maybe a little more saturation to bring up the color in the grass and the sky.

Also, I think that the people are not helping this photo. There are three of them but one is almost completely obscured and makes the guy in front look weird. Also, they are looking out of the frame at something. If they were looking at the plane or at the camera...I think it would be better.

Still it's a great shot of the plane itself. Do you have any more shots of it?

4. Ant

Ant TPF Noob!

Thanks. I did notice the horizon lean, but due to the position of the guy on the far left I didn't think I could fix it without making it look worse due to his orientation to the edge of the photo.

I've got a couple more photos of that aircraft but none of them are particularly great. This is about the best one:

[​IMG]

5. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think the people are fine. I have a problem with the composition. It's too centered, and contains some unnecessary elements. Too much foreground for one. I don't think the road should be included, and then the sky is very boring with no clouds or anything. As was said previously, some more saturation will help that.

I might have come at this from another angle and included the people more prominently, becuase I think they fit the theme plenty well enough.

That's my 2 cents :)

6. Ant

Ant TPF Noob!

That's exactly the sort of comment I was expecting and hoping for.

I'm roughly familiar with the 'rule of thirds' but I struggle to understand how I could implement it in a photo like this. My natural instinct is to put the subject , in this case the aircraft, in the centre of the shot. But according to the rule that's not what I should do....it should be a third of the way up or down. yet there's nothing in the foreground (you said you don't like the road) and there's nothing in the background (no clouds in the sky) to make the rule work in this photograph.

In that case is this particular situation unsuitable for a good photo? I mean I can't magic clouds up, or invent something in the foreground that's not there.

7. molested_cow

molested_cow No longer a newbie, moving up!

Well, something this big and wide needs wide angle lens to capture the feel. A normal 35~75mm simply won't do it.

What about try to capture the characteristics of the details? I'm sure there are lot's of details on the planes that will bring unexpected surprises.

8. Ant

Ant TPF Noob!

Yes, I was beginning to come to that conclusion myself....there were a few shots I just couldn't get due to the lens limitation.

Instead of the whole aircraft? Something like this maybe?

[​IMG]

9. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would crop the runway, and increase contrast a bit. Do something to darken the top part of the sky.

Not that you can do anything about it now, but if you had the chance while taking the pics, getting one with the guys looking into the image, at the plane, would make a great line pointing at the plane. Right now they are at the edge looking out of the image.

10. DanielK

DanielK TPF Noob!

Here is what cropping the first one would look like if anyone's interested.

crop

Daniel

11. Ant

Ant TPF Noob!

Thanks for doing that.

Strangely enough I find that one looks more lop-sided than my original photo, even though you've levelled the horizon. I wonder why that is? Maybe It's because my eye is naturally drawn to the aeroplane instead of the horizon and in my photo the aeroplane looks more level.

12. boswell

boswell TPF Noob!

looks like a good day out at Duxford to me :)