First critique

Ant

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
OK. I'm ready for my baptism of fire with some serious critique 8)

This photo has become one of my favourites and is currently my desktop wallpaper. The only thing I can think of for some improvement is maybe a slight crop on the top and the bottom, other than that I can't see how it can be improved....but then I'm a photo newbie so I'd like your honest input.

Thanks

P7100059.jpg

The only thing that I could suggest is straightening out the lean. I'm a terrible leaner so I have to fix that a lot. Other than that, it's a wonderful picture.

It's a nice photo.

The horizon is fairly tilted but that can easily be fixed. I would crop the runway out and maybe some of the sky off the top.

Maybe a little more saturation to bring up the color in the grass and the sky.

Also, I think that the people are not helping this photo. There are three of them but one is almost completely obscured and makes the guy in front look weird. Also, they are looking out of the frame at something. If they were looking at the plane or at the camera...I think it would be better.

Still it's a great shot of the plane itself. Do you have any more shots of it?

Thanks. I did notice the horizon lean, but due to the position of the guy on the far left I didn't think I could fix it without making it look worse due to his orientation to the edge of the photo.

I've got a couple more photos of that aircraft but none of them are particularly great. This is about the best one:

P7100116.jpg

I think the people are fine. I have a problem with the composition. It's too centered, and contains some unnecessary elements. Too much foreground for one. I don't think the road should be included, and then the sky is very boring with no clouds or anything. As was said previously, some more saturation will help that.

I might have come at this from another angle and included the people more prominently, becuase I think they fit the theme plenty well enough.

That's my 2 cents :)

I have a problem with the composition. It's too centered, and contains some unnecessary elements. Too much foreground for one. I don't think the road should be included, and then the sky is very boring with no clouds or anything.

That's exactly the sort of comment I was expecting and hoping for.

I'm roughly familiar with the 'rule of thirds' but I struggle to understand how I could implement it in a photo like this. My natural instinct is to put the subject , in this case the aircraft, in the centre of the shot. But according to the rule that's not what I should do....it should be a third of the way up or down. yet there's nothing in the foreground (you said you don't like the road) and there's nothing in the background (no clouds in the sky) to make the rule work in this photograph.

In that case is this particular situation unsuitable for a good photo? I mean I can't magic clouds up, or invent something in the foreground that's not there.

Well, something this big and wide needs wide angle lens to capture the feel. A normal 35~75mm simply won't do it.

What about try to capture the characteristics of the details? I'm sure there are lot's of details on the planes that will bring unexpected surprises.

Well, something this big and wide needs wide angle lens to capture the feel. A normal 35~75mm simply won't do it.

Yes, I was beginning to come to that conclusion myself....there were a few shots I just couldn't get due to the lens limitation.

What about try to capture the characteristics of the details? I'm sure there are lot's of details on the planes that will bring unexpected surprises.

Instead of the whole aircraft? Something like this maybe?

P7100401.jpg

I would crop the runway, and increase contrast a bit. Do something to darken the top part of the sky.

Not that you can do anything about it now, but if you had the chance while taking the pics, getting one with the guys looking into the image, at the plane, would make a great line pointing at the plane. Right now they are at the edge looking out of the image.

DanielK said:
Here is what cropping the first one would look like if anyone's interested.

crop

Daniel

Thanks for doing that.

Strangely enough I find that one looks more lop-sided than my original photo, even though you've levelled the horizon. I wonder why that is? Maybe It's because my eye is naturally drawn to the aeroplane instead of the horizon and in my photo the aeroplane looks more level.

I may be putting my foot in my mouth, I am far from experienced and knowledgeable, but my first impression is that it is boring: the colors are bland. The grass is not green and the sky is not blue. I looks like the photo was hurried to try to capture the three men standing next to the plane. Any passerby could have captured this with a basic point and shoot. It is hard to tell what you were taking a picture of: There is not enough plane to make it a shot of the plane, but there is too much for it to be a shot of the landscape. I agree, a wider lens, without the sky and road would be a great improvement, with slightly less crop on the sides. Or, shooting from the left to give a better profile. (Not that either can be done now). I do, however, like the gentlemen looking off camera. It captures what they are doing, not posing for a picture.

Ant said:
OK. I'm ready for my baptism of fire with some serious critique 8)

This photo has become one of my favourites and is currently my desktop wallpaper. The only thing I can think of for some improvement is maybe a slight crop on the top and the bottom, other than that I can't see how it can be improved....but then I'm a photo newbie so I'd like your honest input.

Thanks

P7100059.jpg

Okay, here goes. I like the picture and agree with alot of what has been said. I'd lose the runway and crop the sky a bit. The reenactors are nice but disassociated from the picture. If they were more inboard along the wing or looking at each other would be one thing. I'm curious about what they are looking at off camera.

Regardless I like the picture.

BTW, here is the history I have of this particular aircraft.

the first one needs cropping and a little levels play.

the second one would be better with the wings intact and not cut off.

may i show what a little play with the levels can do?

Most reactions

Back