First day of Photography

I found out how to view the Exif data without downloading anything. One quick question, In the exif data it says Exposure time: 1/8 sec.

Is that the shutter speed?

yup! if you have windows vista, when you look at the photos in the picture viewer thing it gives you all the exif info.

^I don't necessarily agree with that, a photo can have almost none of that and still be a good photo.

then it would be a blank page? every photo tells a story,

who is the picture of

what is happening in the picture

when is it taking place

where is it.

why is it happening

These can be applied to any photo.

The 3rd shot

1. a bee
2. hes flying
3. during the morning/afternoon
4. in a field of flowers
5. he's getting some bee food.

^I don't necessarily agree with that, a photo can have almost none of that and still be a good photo.

who is the picture of

when is it taking place

where is it.

why is it happening

The 3rd shot

1. a bee
2. hes flying
3. during the morning/afternoon
4. in a field of flowers
5. he's getting some bee food.

I wouldn't say I agree with you... Although I can see where you're coming from. I think that photos are open for interpretation. They don't necessarily have to support the 5 W's.

But let's be for serious for a second. A night shot of a city skyline wouldn't support the 5 W's. If it's a well composed shot with something to draw the eye in, it's still a good photo. But there's not really a way that it could also satisfy telling a story. amirite?

I wouldn't say I agree with you... Although I can see where you're coming from. I think that photos are open for interpretation. They don't necessarily have to support the 5 W's.

But let's be for serious for a second. A night shot of a city skyline wouldn't support the 5 W's. If it's a well composed shot with something to draw the eye in, it's still a good photo. But there's not really a way that it could also satisfy telling a story. amirite?

Wrong,
A cityscape tells a story of life
Industrial pollution and / or The beauty of mans work

There is all different ways to interpret an image, Think of an image like a poem without words.

A great poem that is thought out well is a poem called "You're"
which is about a mother, giving birth to a child
she never tells us she is having a child in the poem, But if you read the way she writes it, it tells the whole story, Even the title has a part to play in the poem.

It is called a Contraction when you shorten a word E.g. from You are to You're is a Contraction
Women have contractions before birth, Therefore this title alone plays a vital role, You should have a look at the poem and try Figure it out, It is great and is truly thought out and planned well,
Oh and the poet killed herself by stuffing her head into a cooker....

You're by Slyvia Plath.

Clownlike, happiest on your hands, - Playful and clumsy
Feet to the stars, and moon-skulled, - Child faced head down feet upwards in the womb, Large head
Gilled like a fish. A common-sense, - Living in the water
Thumbs-down on the dodo's mode. - Saying no to extinction
Wrapped up in yourself like a spool, - The baby cradling it's self in the dark area, like a spool, Or a spool is a type of fish, this living in water again.
Trawling your dark, as owls do. - Living in the dark, Large eye
Mute as a turnip from the Fourth - quite, and a date reference
Of July to All Fools' Day, - Note: 4/07 - 4/04 is 9 months, this is when the child was concieved and born.
O high-riser, my little loaf. - Stomache getting larger / Child growing

Vague as fog and looked for like mail. - They cannot wait for the arrival
Farther off than Australia. - Seems so far, yet so close
Bent-backed Atlas, our traveled prawn. - no idea.
Snug as a bud and at home
Like a sprat in a pickle jug. - in a tight area with the water
A creel of eels, all ripples. - the birth cord??
Jumpy as a Mexican bean. - Kicking
Right, like a well-done sum. - Perfect / They are happy with it
A clean slate, with your own face on. - New life, New begining.

That is my own interpritation, that is by no means what the poem really means, but i'm sure it is close,
Art is in the eye of the beholder and that art will mean something different to the consumer.

source: http://www.americanpoems.com/poets/sylviaplath/1465

Another thing i figured out, Wither by coincidence or not,
If you flip the page / screen upside down, The outline of the text forms the shape of a baby in the womb.

Last edited:
Wrong,
A cityscape tells a story of life
Industrial pollution and / or The beauty of mans work

There is all different ways to interpret an image, Think of an image like a poem without words.

A great poem that is thought out well is a poem called "You're"
which is about a mother, giving birth to a child
she never tells us she is having a child in the poem, But if you read the way she writes it, it tells the whole story, Even the title has a part to play in the poem.

It is called a Contraction when you shorten a word E.g. from You are to You're is a Contraction
Women have contractions before birth, Therefore this title alone plays a vital role, You should have a look at the poem and try Figure it out, It is great and is truly thought out and planned well,
Oh and the poet killed herself by stuffing her head into a cooker....

You're by Slyvia Plath.

http://www.americanpoems.com/poets/sylviaplath/1465

Another thing i figured out, Wither by coincidence or not,
If you flip the page / screen upside down, The outline of the text forms the shape of a baby in the womb.

Okay, so with that logic, you can apply the 5 W's to any photo whether it's good or not?

Also, may I point out that while "industrial pollution/the beauty of man's work" is your interpretation of the work. I personally don't believe it tells a story. You stated what you believe it to be. But I don't see it telling a story, which is what the topic at hand is.

So in conclusion, I think that any photograph is open to interpretation or opinion. But does not always need to satisfy the 5 W's in order to make a memorable photo.

In a side note this is MY OPINION. You don't have to agree with it. And you DON'T have to tell me that my opinion is wrong. It's appropriate to disagree, which is what I am doing. I respect your opinion, and I wouldn't call it wrong. I just simply don't see things that way.

i personally don't like thinking about things too much, wether i'm songwriting, playing music or taking photos.
i think often the good photos are those you just can't help but taking if you know what i mean

[/quote]

But let's be for serious for a second. A night shot of a city skyline wouldn't support the 5 W's. If it's a well composed shot with something to draw the eye in, it's still a good photo. But there's not really a way that it could also satisfy telling a story. amirite?[/QUOTE]

Every picture tells a story, whether you intend it to or not.

a city skyline does fit the 5 w's

who- NYC

what- shimmering

when- night

where- on a harbor

why - industrious

NYC_skyline_at_night.jpg

Every picture tells a story, whether you intend it to or not.

a city skyline does fit the 5 w's

who- NYC

what- shimmering

when- night

where- on a harbor

why - industrious

That is a huge stretch to try and make a point.

I mean:

"what- shimmering

why - industrious"

Does those even make sense? They don't to me.

Are people simply incapable of understanding what an opinion is? Are you unable to accept that I have my own opinion and simply don't agree with you?

[/quote]
That is a huge stretch to try and make a point.

I mean:

"what- shimmering

why - industrious"

Does those even make sense? They don't to me.

Are people simply incapable of understanding what an opinion is? Are you unable to accept that I have my own opinion and simply don't agree with you?[/QUOTE]

what is happening the picture- shimmering lights on the harbor

why- to show industrial beauty.

i was just saving time before and to make my point, not to try and make people think like me.... i dont care what other people think, but if you say that i'm wrong, i'll show you that i'm not, im a *****, not a scientologist:mrgreen:

Last edited:
what is happening the picture- shimmering lights on the harbor

why- to show industrial beauty.

i was just saving time before and to make my point, not to try and make people think like me.... i dont care what other people think, but if you say that i'm wrong, i'll show you that i'm not, im a *****, not a scientologist:mrgreen:

Okay... And what I think is different than what you think. Therefore you have no need to try and tell me I'm wrong. We both disagree, and that's fine. No one is wrong. Simply just differing opinions.

[/quote]

Okay... And what I think is different than what you think. Therefore you have no need to try and tell me I'm wrong. We both disagree, and that's fine. No one is wrong. Simply just differing opinions.[/QUOTE]

i never felt the need to tell you your wrong, i felt to need to make my point....

who is the picture of

when is it taking place

where is it.

why is it happening

OK, tell my photos story. Answer all 5W's

3714410793_b9eeb4014a_o.jpg

A blank page tells a story too, doesn't it.

With an apology to the OP for the derailment.

who is the picture of

when is it taking place

where is it.

why is it happening

OK, tell my photos story. Answer all 5W's

3714410793_b9eeb4014a_o.jpg

A blank page tells a story too, doesn't it.

With an apology to the OP for the derailment.

This post proves my point exactly. But let's keep this out of the OPs thread, no more need to get off track.

This post proves my point exactly. But let's keep this out of the OPs thread, no more need to get off track.

:hugs:

I wonder if a Mod can seperate this into a new thread?
It is an interesting and challenging discussion in and of itself.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back