first day out with dSLR-- CC please :)

twostep376

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Went out for my first day yesterday with my new xsi. I had a total blast! I'm looking forward to getting better.

I'd love some constructive criticism on areas I can improve in:

4532929999_cb4de99517.jpg

4533515764_a21ce6e818_b.jpg

4532884175_457ea645e2_b.jpg

4533528006_fd909f9f2a_b.jpg

4533552572_9931659466_b.jpg

Last edited:
also.... I am new to post processing. I am using lightroom 2. I don't want to over do my images, but I do want them to pop. Any advice on PP would be more than welcome.

Wow... what were you using before this? You don't seem like a newbie to me! I love the colors on all your pictures, and really love the effect you caught on the waterfall, making it seem soft. I'm sorry I don't have any technical feedback, as I'm really new at this. What I do know is that I love your photos! I want to hang the one with the tulips on my wall!!

Wow... what were you using before this? You don't seem like a newbie to me! I love the colors on all your pictures, and really love the effect you caught on the waterfall, making it seem soft. I'm sorry I don't have any technical feedback, as I'm really new at this. What I do know is that I love your photos! I want to hang the one with the tulips on my wall!!

wow, thanks! :blushing:

before this I was using a simple point and shoot, but I always messed around with different settings. I feel like with a dSLR I have been set free to do what I want haha!

I have also been reading "Understanding Exposure" carefully, which has been immensely helpful.

These pics were shot at the Chicago Botanic Garden. CBG really deserves the credit for any good shots...the gardens are stunning there.

Last edited:
#1-- Great capture of the water drop falling. I like the fact that the water already is rippled from a previous drop. Nice framing, nice colors. Goodjob.

#2-- Beautiful colors in the foreground flowers. I wish the tree on the right was not so dark, because it does not match the tree on the left which is nice and bright.

#3-- Smart framing, but the yellows seems too saturated. I like the affect though.

#4-- Beautiful framing, beautiful colors, great dof. AWESOME shot.

#5-- I like how the foreground is nice and close. However, the background at the top (the tree) is rather bright and distracting. Also, the tree on the left takes away from the simplicity and beauty of the shot. Still, its a good shot.

Nice job for your first day!!

WOW, I agree with the others. You're doing great for the first day out with your DSLR. Nice work! :)

Great first day! Keep reading thats good information and it seems to have payed off.

Thanks for the comments!

D-B-J: I agree a/b the waterfall shot. When I'm trying to get the exposure for something like this (w/ a preference for the slow shutter speed), how can I make it come out a bit more even? Will I inevitably need to merge 2 photos digitally? Or is it generally possible to fiddle with the aperture, iso, and my personal framing/shooting point to get a good capture? my greatest struggle right now is evenly exposing landscapes that are both sunny and shadow filled...and those types of shots are my fav.

Great job for your first day out. I was no where near that good until after a whole lot of practice. Love the framing and vibrant colors on these shots. When doing your post processing, tone back a bit of the color saturation and you'll be golden. Can't wait to see you progress, cause this is a great start.

Steve M.

For the silky water affect, you really need a tripod. For example, go there again and try something like a 6 second exposure, and adjust your aperture and iso settings accordingly. For me, the silky water is alot of guess and check, and then adjust accordingly as to what i want. Sometimes ill go with a long exposure like 20 seconds (if i can, with the lighting), and sometimes ill go for one thats about an eighth of a second.

For the silky water affect, you really need a tripod. For example, go there again and try something like a 6 second exposure, and adjust your aperture and iso settings accordingly. For me, the silky water is alot of guess and check, and then adjust accordingly as to what i want. Sometimes ill go with a long exposure like 20 seconds (if i can, with the lighting), and sometimes ill go for one thats about an eighth of a second.

yeah, for those I've basically been doing hand held for 1/15-1/30...thats as good as i can get away with hand held. I think this was @ 1/15.

Ok, let me get this straight, you actually are one of these people who's slogan is "Its a new day every day", right? Is that what you mean?
If not then :hail:

Great shots! Well done. Looks like you got a good bit already worked out from the technical side regarding focus, exposure and aperture.

Composition has room for improvement.

I love the first shot! I love the sharpness on that one - I'm wondering how sharp the full resolution looks like but I really like that one.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back