First Day with my new camera

Donjo3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I got my Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT last night, and right after I got home from school, I went out and shot around a bit. I noticed that when I turn the dial to "flash off", the shutter?(not sure if that is what its called) lags, alot. This hasn't happened in any of the other modes, just when the flash off is selected. Once again, I dont know if its the shutter, but when I press it halfway to focus, it focus's, and then when I press all the way, it takes the picture, but then it seems to 'freeze' up. Is this normal?

-Noob

I'm a beginner too, but I believe it is due to the fact that it needs more light, therefore it keeps the shutter open longer, letting more light in.

Normal...

If Flash is being used, the shutter is set to a sync speed assuming that the flash itself will provide enough light to properly expose the negative.

If flash is off, the shutter and aperture will set according to the camera's meter. If the situation is low light, a slower (than with flash) shutter speed is selected to properly expose the negative. Often the selected shutter speed is too slow to handhold in low light.

Wow, that should have been obvious, but once again, I'm very much a noob. Thank you, and be prepared for more stupid questions to come.

Keep your eye in the viewfinder for the shutter speed. Be aware at what focal length you are shooting at. Shutter speed should not be below 1/focal length (handheld). So for a 50mm lens ss should be 1/50th. For a 200mm lens 1/200th. Unless you are using an IS lens when you can shoot at much slower speeds than normal.

If you are getting slow shutter speeds remember you can increase the ISO. Each doubling of ISO means you get twice the shutter speed. Downside is images are more noisy.

Say you have a 50mm lens set at f4 and the ISO 100 and the shutter speed is 1/30th. If you increase the ISO to 200 you double the shutter speed. Or you could leave it as ISO100 and increase the aperture to f2.8 (if you have a lens capable of going that large) and aghain you double the shutter speed.

Read "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Petersen. A great book for advising on understanding exposures

yer the less natrual light there is the longer the shutter stays open otherwise u get a darker image but there are ways around this. if u turt the dile to personal setting such as p or m u are abel to increase or decrease the shutter speed the by changing the iso to a hight number and maby increasing or decreasing the f stop u can get a faster image with out the flash being on.
asol u are abel to take advantage of the longer exsposutr time for such things as fire spinning or to get grater depth of fild

hope this helps u

With longer shutter speeds you need a tripod....

It surprises me how many people pay $500+ for a camera without reading fundamentals of it, such as the people who expect the LCD to do a live preview.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back