First digital astrophotography success

TreeofLifeStairs

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
treeoflifestairs.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I would have to classify this as my first successful digital astro pic. I got a new 12mm 2.0 lens that seemed to make quite a difference. Plus the location wasn't too bad. Next time I'm going to take a bit more time and travel further away from the city lights.

astro-1.jpg

Kudos to you for getting it on the nex! I find it nearly impossible to focus mine in the dark. Beautiful colors here! It would definitely make it to my iPad background! Well done!

Kudos to you for getting it on the nex! I find it nearly impossible to focus mine in the dark. Beautiful colors here! It would definitely make it to my iPad background! Well done!
Nicely done.
Try again during the summer: the milky way will be much more visible. :)

Thanks guys. I fully intend on trying again. You're right, I've heard that the Milky Way is more visible in the summer but do you know why that is? It would seem to me that since we're in it, it should be visible year round as long as it's dark enough.

You're right, I've heard that the Milky Way is more visible in the summer but do you know why that is? It would seem to me that since we're in it, it should be visible year round as long as it's dark enough.
I should have been more precise: I meant the core of the Milky Way, its brightest part.

First of all, the position of the Milky Way in the sky and the night sky itself is different whether you're in the Northern or Southern Hemisphere. For example the Magellanic Clouds are only visible from the Southern Hemisphere (that's a shame! :) ).

See it that way: the Earth being on one side of the Milky Way you have the core of the galaxy on one side and the "suburbs" on another side.

As time goes by, the Earth rotates around the Sun. So we're not on the same side in the winter or in the summer.
When it's night in the winter (Northern Hemisphere), we are on the wrong side of the Sun to see the core of Milky Way. During the summer, the Earth is on the other side of the Sun, and therefore when it's night, we are on the "right (as in good) side" of the Sun and we can see the core of the Milky Way.

Here's a simple way to explain it :
Milky-Way-annotated-SMALLMoreanno-948x1024.jpeg

(Source)

Hope it helps! :)

Last edited:
I would have to classify this as my first successful digital astro pic. I got a new 12mm 2.0 lens that seemed to make quite a difference. Plus the location wasn't too bad. Next time I'm going to take a bit more time and travel further away from the city lights.

View attachment 95824
congratulations. I never could.

Looks great !! :encouragement:
Now you can work on improving everything as you learn more.

quick trick ... if you break the milky way in half you can get a better view of the Core :)
milky-way.jpg

:alien:

You're right, I've heard that the Milky Way is more visible in the summer but do you know why that is? It would seem to me that since we're in it, it should be visible year round as long as it's dark enough.
I should have been more precise: I meant the core of the Milky Way, its brightest part.

First of all, the position of the Milky Way in the sky and the night sky itself is different whether you're in the Northern or Southern Hemisphere. For example the Magellanic Clouds are only visible from the Southern Hemisphere (that's a shame! :) ).

See it that way: the Earth being on one side of the Milky Way you have the core of the galaxy on one side and the "suburbs" on another side.

As time goes by, the Earth rotates around the Sun. So we're not on the same side in the winter or in the summer.
When it's night in the summer (Northern Hemisphere), we are on the wrong side of the Sun to see the core of Milky Way. During the summer, the Earth is on the other side of the Sun, and therefore when it's night, we are on the "right (as in good) side" of the Sun and we can see the core of the Milky Way.

Here's a simple way to explain it :
Milky-Way-annotated-SMALLMoreanno-948x1024.jpeg

(Source)

Hope it helps! :)
Perfect explanation. What great insight. Thanks.

Perfect explanation. What great insight. Thanks.
You're welcome. I just edited my post as I noticed I've said summer twice instead of winter: winter=wrong side.

Just way for it in the summer, if you're in a really dark place you can even notice the Milky Way with your bare eyes. It's a fantastic sight.
Have fun learning astrophotography!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back