First drag racing shots of this summer

Olympus8MP

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
thecodesource.solarbotics.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are the first set of drag racing shots from this summer's racing season. The light was getting kind of low, so some of these are not as sharp as I would like. I plan on taking a whole lot more, and improving my panning. Any tips?

EDIT:

Shots were edited for cropping.... New crops are below...
p545365075-4.jpg

I like #1...did the Dodge win?!

Yes, please tell me the SRT won.

Yes, please tell me the SRT won.

I dont know, thats a modified mustang against what looks like a stock SRT. Im thinkin the Ford took it but ya never know...

I have no idea how difficult those pictures are to take but I find the backgrounds distracting. Have you ever tried panning with a slower shutter speed to blur the background even more and give a feeling of greater speed?

I do believe the SRT won. I can't remember the race real well, but I seem to remember that Mustang was not running well that night. There were some really fast cars there that weekend. There were two new mustangs there running 10.97 and 11.20 with turbos, and a 9 second corvette that pulled massive wheelstands, to name a few :D . By the time they were up, however, the daylight had gone and I couldn't get photos.

Hopefully the rain will hold off this weekend and I can use what I learned to capture better photos. :D These pictures were taken with a relatively low shutter speed, but some of the cars are already moving in excess of 100+ MPH by the time they're in range for a picture, so a speed of 1/125 or faster is necessary for keeping the car sharp. I'll give it another go real soon. :D

I like number 4 its just that the background is a little bit noisy, a little bit of the tighter crop would make some nice shots.
Wes

I will try tighter crops tonight. I have some rather bad cropping in these because I had the wrong lens with me *oops* :( I should've taken my telephoto 40-150, but i had my 14-45 lol . Next time I think the 40-150 (80-300 equiv.) will help me get closer on the action. :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back