First DSLR Camera Advice, Please

asparrow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been using a Canon EOS Rebel for macro & nature slide photography. Due to the cost of developing slides I'm debating making the switch to a DSLR.

Essentially I need to be able to make (gallery) quality prints and submit images for stock photography.

I've been looking at the Canon EOS Rebel T6. Its in my price range and from what I understand the EOS lenses are interchangeable. Although when I held it compared to the Nikon it felt really light which made me worry about durability.

Does anyone have any recommendations on cameras in this range? Id like to be able to continue to use my current lenses, but I'm open to switching if it comes down to image quality.

Im trying to keep it under $700. Would I be better holding off until I can afford to spend more?

I would have to go with yes, if you can save up another 4-500 you will be more in the price range of a camera that will give you options and also hold you off for a while until you want to make the switch to full frame, if you ever do. The t6 isn't a bad camera, but i think if you almost double that you'll be in a better range of camera bodies. What lenses do you currently own? I find that the rebel cameras after some time are outgrown where as the EOS XXD cameras seem to last a bit longer. Just my opinions.

Annnddd... the Nikon guys would recommend a Nikon. And so it goes.

I don't know anything about Canon lenses, but are your lenses really good lenses, or sort of lower-to-mid level? The reason I'm asking is because whichever system you invest in, you will want good lenses, so basing your decision about which make of body to purchase on lower-quality lenses makes no sense.

Consider buying used or refurb to stretch your budget. Buy the best that you can afford so you're not looking to upgrade a year from now.

My recommendation is to get a camera that feels comfortable in your hands and another thing to note are the button and dial placements. Are they in a spot that makes sense to you? Also check out the menu systems, each camera has different user interfaces, some are more complicated than others.

This is why it's VERY important to go to a camera store that has multiple different brands of cameras.

Another thing that is worth checking out is the lens selection, does that specific brand have the lenses that you are going to need or will want for your style of shooting?

Remember, you are NOT just buying a camera. You buying into a brand.

First and foremost, both Nikon and Cannon take great photos and at this point you are arguing minutia if you get into a debate between the two of them.

But, I am a Nikon guy so Ill weigh in on the Nikon stuff.

In that price range I assume you are talking about the D3300 (now the D3400) or D5500 or something similar. I have the D3300 and its been all over the place with me. In the hot summer sun and the cold winter snow. Its been dropped, its been banged around, on the beach, in the grass you get it. Its survived admirably and still works great. Unless you do something really silly they are more than durable.

One thing I really prefer about the Nikon cameras is that just about all lenses made since 1956 (the introduction of the F mount) will work on all of their cameras. This opens up a whole world of vintage glass that cannon simply does not have the reverse compatibility to compete with. You can grab a nice Nikon PB - 6 Bellows and do macro work with basically any lens you have. You can even find used Macro lenses like the 55mm Micro Nikor for a real bargain.

The 24MP of even the lowest of Nikon DSLR's is more than enough to make beautiful prints.

Regards
Dave

I have an older EOS Rebel XT 35 millimeter film camera with a Sigma 70 to 200 Zoom. There is a known issue with some of the older Sigma lenses being"film only". I was at my favorite high-tech pawn shop not long after they took in a nice 400mm f5.6 Sigma, and I commented that lens will probably only work on a film camera. The sales guy kind of scoffed, and I said "Go ahead, put it on a Canon digital and see if it shoots more than one frame at a time."

That is probably the main issue with older film era Rebel lenses on modern Canon digital SLR bodies. You probably will not have to worry about this issue but keep it in mind if you have any older lenses that are not made by Canon.

Both Canon and Nikon entry level camera bodies are light in weight, and neither feels anywhere near as robust is mid or high end bodies. You will save a huge amount of money shooting digitally, as opposed to shooting slides. You will also have better noise performance at higher ISO values with digital. You will be able to make very large prints with a modern DSLR from either Canon or Nikon.

I would definitely try to make it to a store that has both Canon and Nikon cameras for you to check out. Best Buy has competitive prices in many locations and the good easy return policy as well.

No, I wouldn't recommend the Canon T6, it has a very old sensor on it which has unimpressive low light performance, the dynamic range on it isn't too impressive either, this same 18MP sensor was in the t2i, t3i, t4i, t5i, t5 and now t6.
If you want to stay with Canon I would strongly suggest get the new sensor cameras like the Canon t6i or t6s, those are still not as good as the equivalent sensors in Sony and Nikon entry level cameras but they are overall good and modern with comparable resolution.

Another option is the Nikon D3300 which I personally own, it has very good low light performance, more resolution, has potentially sharper image due to the removal of the AA filter, good dynamic range and better AF then the t6 and it cost the same so if your only 2 cameras to consider are the Canon t6 and Nikon D3300 then I would say the Nikon is the better camera between the two.

If you are going from film to digital and want to be able to jump right in reproducing similar images with the same lenses then I suggest going for a Full Frame body right from the start. You can get a used 5D MKII body for $700, possibly with some memory cards and extra batteries thrown in (a couple hundred more if you buy used from KEH with warranty).

Since the 24.2 MP T6 was preceded by the 18.2 MP T5 series, and the T6 was announced just a bit under 2 years ago, how old is the image sensor in the T6 ?

I agree that you'll likely want a full frame DSLR and not a smaller APS-C size image sensor.

Since the 24.2 MP T6 was preceded by the 18.2 MP T5 series, and the T6 was announced just a bit under 2 years ago, how old is the image sensor in the T6 ?

I agree that you'll likely want a full frame DSLR and not a smaller APS-C size image sensor.

Ummmmmmm...I think that Canon used thier same basic 18 MP sensor from 2007 onward, in like, six different Canon camera models up to and incuding the T5. This lack of new-sensor innoation caused a big stir among Canon users in the YouTube and blogosphere. But they did manage to finally get to 24-MP in APS-C.

Speaking of an inexpensive Nikon Full-frame (D610) and an inexpensive Canon APS-C T6i camera:

Nikon D610 vs Canon T6i

or.... Nikon D5500 vs Nikon D610 vs Canon EOS Rebel T2i, EOS 550D or Kiss X4 | DxOMark

This shows pretty clearly that FX Nikon with Sony sensor has more DR, and vastly better low-light performance.

I would have to go with yes, if you can save up another 4-500 you will be more in the price range of a camera that will give you options and also hold you off for a while until you want to make the switch to full frame, if you ever do. The t6 isn't a bad camera, but i think if you almost double that you'll be in a better range of camera bodies. What lenses do you currently own? I find that the rebel cameras after some time are outgrown where as the EOS XXD cameras seem to last a bit longer. Just my opinions.
Consider buying used or refurb to stretch your budget. Buy the best that you can afford so you're not looking to upgrade a year from now.
Thank you

Annnddd... the Nikon guys would recommend a Nikon. And so it goes.

I don't know anything about Canon lenses, but are your lenses really good lenses, or sort of lower-to-mid level? The reason I'm asking is because whichever system you invest in, you will want good lenses, so basing your decision about which make of body to purchase on lower-quality lenses makes no sense.

Agreed. Only one of the lenses was an investment (Not high end but decent).

I've always been terrified of doing this but it's probably my best option. Thank you

I've always been terrified of doing this but it's probably my best option. Thank you

Buying used from a reputable dealer is far less risky than buying used off Craigslist or FleaBay.

Buying refurb means you have the advantage of having the camera brought back to factory-original condition. It's more money than used, but it means you have basically the same as a new camera, and at least a 90-day guarantee is typical.

Most reactions

Back