First DSLR Camera?

I personally have two Canon Rebel XT's. I like them fine. You said you were used to using a Nikon but Canon would do you just as well. You need to decide what you want. You can get a refurbished Canon Rebel XSi for less than $500.00. I know, I have one. Depending on your shooting style and interests, there are a lot of lenses out there for both Canon and Nikon. There really is not a single best camera and lens for all situations. If you just want to do snapshots, get a point and shoot. There are some very good ones that may be just the ticket for you. You might also want to look and Pentax, Olympus, and Sony. While I am not familiar with any of the three, I do know they all have their good points. Good luck in your search.

The invidiual camera doesn't matter as much as what you get in the camera. Nikon has about three tiers that are within your price range I'm guessing: Beginner/Intermediate/Upper-Intermediate. For the most robust shooting experience without gimping yourself on features down the road, I would look into the Intermediate side of things and that would be an older D70/D80 (which can be had used for the cost of a new D40/D60), or a D90.

As for size, I really wouldn't be overly concerned about that. I mean size is important, but you will get used to the weight (if it can be called that) - don't let that factor into your LONG TERM goals with your camera.

get a used D80... if you have been used to shooting with the D90... dropping to a D40.. you would be kicking yourself... I bought a D80 and after shooting with that for a little while I was using my friends D40 and it just felt like crap in my hand didn't have the controls, that I would have liked... but If i could afford it I wish i could have bought a D300 and if I could really afford it a D700 or D3... but that is just out of the question... Unless I come into a lot of money...

Good luck... with your purchase... Just remember you are really limited with the Lenses you can use if you get anything lower then a D80..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back