First DSLR Canon XSi or 40D?

mep42

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been looking at both and I am puzzled. I thought I was sold on the 40d but, I read reviews saying that I should buy the cheaper xsi and get a better lens rather than getting the 40d with the 28-135 kit lens. Help!!

It depends how much money you have. Its mostly about the glass (lenses) but if you have enough money to get BOTH, then get both...
If you are limited on money get the cheaper body and good glass. Its better than getting a good body and cheap glass. You want a good glass no matter what, and if you can, a better body, so it really depends on ur budget. HOW MUCH CAN YOU SPEND???

I agree. Most of the time you will not see much difference with photos taken from XSI and 40D. If you are planning to get more lenses later on anyway and your budget allow you to get the 40D. Of course I will get the 40D.

Try them at the store as most of the people here suggest and see which one you like better. XSI is a little smaller than 40D, however, you can always buy a battery grip for the camera to make it bigger and as the same time make it easier for taking portrait shots as well as double the battery capacity.

I am also the person prefer better lens. So if I have a tight budget, I will get the cheaper body and use the rest of the budget and get better lenses. (and other accessories such as flash, tripod ...)

Expensive body + so so lens = so so image quality
Cheap decent body + sharp lens = good sharp image quality

And of course

Expensive body + sharp lens = good sharp image quality.

It depends how much money you have. Its mostly about the glass (lenses) but if you have enough money to get BOTH, then get both...
If you are limited on money get the cheaper body and good glass. Its better than getting a good body and cheap glass. You want a good glass no matter what, and if you can, a better body, so it really depends on ur budget. HOW MUCH CAN YOU SPEND???

I would like to spend no more than 1,100 USD. I do have big hands, I like that the 40d is bigger but, couldn't i get the xsi, battery grip, and a good lense for the price of a cheap 40d. I am looking at one now that i can get a 40d with the 28-135 kit lens.

Just so you know. Ritz has the new Canon 30D body for $700 now
http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/541162384.htm

You maybe able to get a free Canon printer (after rebate) as well.

And personally, I prefer a wider lens. The Field of view of 28mm is not wide enough for me when it is used in a cropped body.

I know this is a tough decision. If you really like the 40D and is planning to get more lens later on. Then go with the 40D. The bottom line is all the cameras are good camera and they will not stop you from taking good pictures. (Well, most of the time)

Most reactions

Back