First DSLR Canon XSi or 40D?

mep42

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been looking at both and I am puzzled. I thought I was sold on the 40d but, I read reviews saying that I should buy the cheaper xsi and get a better lens rather than getting the 40d with the 28-135 kit lens.Help!!

I have been looking at both and I am puzzled. I thought I was sold on the 40d but, I read reviews saying that I should buy the cheaper xsi and get a better lens rather than getting the 40d with the 28-135 kit lens.Help!!

Well, I have the XSi and Love it. It'll do almost everything that the 40d will and a lot of sites have rated the XSi to have better overall IQ. Although, if you need 6fps go with the 40D the image quality for both will pretty much be the same and the better lens you have the better off you'll be overall.

Hold both, and see how they feel.
One of the main reasons I went with the 40D (Over the XTI..the XSI wasn't out yet) is because the XTI felt too small. I couldn't really hold it very comfortably in my hands..Also the 40D has the top screen (Which REALLY comes in handy for me) and has the thumb wheel...Not to mention the 40D is a better body overall...But if the XSI feels great to you, and you don't think you need the top screen/thumb wheel/speed then spend the extra money on something else
You should be able to get the same quality pictures with both.

The 40d is definitly the better camera IMO. XSi seems like more geared towards the general public rather than series photographers. For me the rebel series are all too small and uncomfortable, but that may be different in your case. I was looking into the 40d but I hate how complicated canons settings are, so I went with a Nikon.

If you have plenty of money, get the 40D and some nice lenses, if you dont have a huge budget get the XSi and good lenses...

BTW 40D > XSi

If you have plenty of money, get the 40D and some nice lenses, if you dont have a huge budget get the XSi and good lenses...

BTW 40D > XSi

I agree with prodigy2k7. Go first for the lens and then for the camera :)

I have a 40D and i have hold a 400D XTI (yeah i know it can;t be compared to XSI) but i especially liked the 40d because of the good grip it offers, you could hold it pretty steady, with out the fear of drop it.
The XSi is for consumers so there were a lot of compromises, maybe that's why has a lot of cool settings close to the 40D.

I agree with prodigy2k7. Go first for the lens and then for the camera :)

I have a 40D and i have hold a 400D XTI (yeah i know it can;t be compared to XSI) but i especially liked the 40d because of the good grip it offers, you could hold it pretty steady, with out the fear of drop it.
The XSi is for consumers so there were a lot of compromises, maybe that's why has a lot of cool settings close to the 40D.

How do you like the 28-135 lens? I see that you have that is it a good walk around lens. I am not on a extravagant budget, so it would be cheaper in the kit.

I'm not a canon person, but I believe the 40D is a more durable body overall. Just something to consider.

Anubis

40D does have a metal chasis. The XXD is the line that's intended to be a step up from the Rebels. Whatever you do, don't bring MP into the equation. I have a 300D that I can very well still print off 30"x45" enlargements because I use a quality printer and edit to their specifications. It's 6mp. It's not my main camera, but I still threaten to bust it out just to shoot with the guys that have the really expensive gear.

Seriously go play with them. I had an XTI as well and after moving to the 30D, I don't really like shooting with the rebels. The XXD series has a top mount lcd and controls which allow you to change settings like ISO without going into the camera menu. You also have a scroll wheel which lets you change the aperture without having to hold down an additional button and use the shutter wheel to change it, like on the rebel line. They also have slightly faster AF, iirc. I don't know if they changed this on the XSI, but on the previous Rebels, you can only change ISO in full stop increments, so you're limited to 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, where as on the XXD series you can change it in 1/3 steps, which gives you a higher degree of control.

That's what the next step up in Canon's line up is about though, better control. And IQ will be the same. They both use the DIGIC III processor. Also, the XSI is the first camera in Canon's line up that only uses SD cards and doesn't accept CF, which every other current camera (unless the XS is out at the moment) takes CF cards.

It's up to you, but I like to reccomend the better body. You can always purchase the 40D without a lens and buy seperately. That or look at a 30D. They're going for about $700 new, iirc. That's a good deal.

40D hands down. I outgrew the Rebel line after 3 months. Not that my XTi didn't take great photos, but controls were inconvienient. The top lcd, 2 wheels, and build quality of the 40D is simply a must for me. The XSi will take great photos, but if you have average to large hands, be sure to figure in the cost of a grip (if they make one for the XSi). They are small cameras. Go to a shop and hold both.

Derrick

what do you guys think about sigma and tamaron lenses. Now I am thinking more about getting an XSI with a battery grip to handle my big hands and getting two get tamaron or sigma lenses are they good?

Define good.

A Canon 16-35 f/2.8 that's over $1000 is good.
A Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 that's $700 is decent.
A Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6(?) that's $500 is a good bargain.
A Sigma 55-200 f/4-5.6 that's $150 is mediocre.
A Sigma 70-300 f/4-5.6 that's $140 is going to be soft and make you complain.

I'd go for a 40D body only. The 28-135mm is a poor match for a 1.6x camera. It's not nearly wide enough. Save yourself some dough and get the body and a 18-55mm IS. It matches the camera well and is $200. It's also a very sharp lens even out to the corners. The vignetting is pretty bad, but it's attractive and only happens wide open.

The XSI is nice in some ways, but it lacks a lot compared to the 40D. From what I've read it has slightly worse high ISO performance and the controls are not as convenient as well as having a plastic body. I wouldn't turn an XSi down, but I also wouldn't buy one unless the price was a little lower.

This is what I have come up with

Canon Deluxe Photo Backpack 200EG for Canon EOS SLR Cameras (Black with Greenish Accent)
by Canon Cameras US Avg customer review: (702) In Stock Price: $38.56
11 used & new from $31.88 DESIRED
RECEIVED
PRIORITY
highesthighmediumlowlowest added August 5, 2008 COMMENT

Sigma Zoom Telephoto 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro Autofocus Lens + EX Filter + Cleaning Cloth for Nikon AF-D Offered by 47th Street Photo by SIGMA Avg customer review: (1) In Stock Price: $94.95
1 used & new from $94.95 DESIRED
RECEIVED
PRIORITY

Canon BG-E5 Battery Grip for EOS Rebel XS XSi + Advanced DB ROTH Accessory Kit Offered by DBROTH by Canon
In stock. Processing takes an additional 2 to 3 days. Price: $155.99
1 used & new from $155.99 DESIRED
RECEIVED
PRIORITY

Canon Digital Rebel XSi 12MP Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens (Black)
by Canon Avg customer review: (94) In Stock Price: Click here to see our price
52 used & new from $709.97

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back