First DSLR Options

The K100D will have at least as good image quality as the D50 with an equivalent lens. Don't feel like you're settling. Older lenses, whether they're Pentax or Nikon are not necessarily inferior. If they're too old, before good lens coating technology came around, they are inferior. But primes from the 80s and beyond will be good.

Which lenses are you thinking of getting?

Oh, I know that the K100D has better image quality than the D50 with good glass ;). I guess my post was confusing, but I was implying that I'd have to settle for lesser image quality if I went with the D50. I have yet another dilemma, though. I made one last price check of all the models before making my purchase of the K100D this morning and I got some good news; the Sony A100 dropped $100 across the board at www.sonystyle.com. When calculating the cost I get the camera for through work, I take that price and subtract 40%. This means that I can now get the Sony a100 (body only) for ~$450 after tax. Between its good reviews, Minolta compatibility, sensor cleaning, anti-shake, and being 10MP instead of 6MP I think I've finally decided on the winner.

Now I just need to decide on the lenses, haha. I have the money right now for one decent lens so I'm thinking I'll get a ~50mm prime since I have no plans for a trip in near future. Once spring rolls around, I'll invest in some glass for shooting both landscapes and little furry guys :) In the mean time, who has some suggestions for a good 50mm prime (or even a zoom lens if a quality one exists)?

Well, do you want it to behave like a 50mm, or do you want it to be a 50mm and behave like a 75mm?

If you want it to behave like a 50mm, look for a Maxxum 28mm or 35mm lens, or the new Sigma 30mm f/1.4. (it's $430 though :( )

If you really want a 50, there are probably a million of them floating around on ebay.

At PopPhoto, they really like the A100. They say the anti shake is more effective than that of the Pentax. However, looking at the lens reviews, the Pentax kit lenses are slightly better.

You might do a forum search on A100 and see what people who have them think. I seem to recall a post somewhere where one owner was having electrical problems with his A100.

I think the A100 is a clone of the Maxxum 7D. I was researching that one last year when I was thinking of going SLR. I like that it had switches & knobs everywhere instead of burying things in menus.

Let us know how it works out.

I think the A100 is based more on the 5D than the 7D, in layout and build.

I KNOW it is. I've got a 7D and I played with an A100 -- very different. The A100 is lacking most of the external buttons the 7D has and it's much smaller. Sony needs to do something with that 7D body -- I'm thinking full frame sensor...

Well, do you want it to behave like a 50mm, or do you want it to be a 50mm and behave like a 75mm?

If you want it to behave like a 50mm, look for a Maxxum 28mm or 35mm lens, or the new Sigma 30mm f/1.4. (it's $430 though :( )

I'd prefer whatever will give me the closest to what the eye "sees." Price is quite important to me since I'm paying for college. I won't be paying more than $300 for a lens in the near future.

All I know is I am jealous as hell.Body only a100 for $450.00. I ordered mine this morning and paid $725.00. On the other hand I dont work for circuit city or go to college either.:mrgreen: Good luck with the a100 got mine shipped overnite and should be here tommorow.

Sony needs to do something with that 7D body -- I'm thinking full frame sensor...

I'd like that a lot, especially now I've just got hold of the film Dynax 7. Of course it's fairly unlikely that Sony would do that, at least in the foreseeable future, but I guess they have money to throw at it and might be willing to take the gamble. On the other hand they can't keep using the same basic body designs forever, and I'd like to see what else the future holds and to what extent the Konica/Minolta legacy prevails beyond just the lens mount.

Who knows? Photographers just loved the Maxxum 7D. With Sony's marketing power, they could succeed where Minolta failed.

I worked at Circuit City part time too. It was kind of fun, but I sure wouldn't want to do it for a living. Especially since dqniel is into photography and they sell photographic equipment. He'll spend most of his money there, and have none left for groceries. :D

I was like that when I worked for the camera stores. Especially the one with lots of used equipment. I spent at least 1/4 of every paycheck there. It was pure torture to sell & demonstrate cameras that I couldn't afford to customers, knowing full well that they would set it to 'AUTO' and leave it there. What a waste!

Thanks for all your advice Jeremy. I'll update you all once I order everything :)

To you A100 people - Keep your eyes peeled on ebay for old Maxxum stuff, before this camera really catches on.

Previously, High quality Minolta Maxxum stuff went for much less than equivalent Canon & Nikon stuff on ebay. People just didn't really take it that seriously, even though it is very good.

Look for Buy it Now options on auctions that were just posted. Occasionally, you'll run into someone doing an ebay estate sale, and they have no idea what something is worth.

Last summer, I found a lightly-used Pentax ME Super with Pentax 50mm f/1.4 lens at the thrift shop for $75. I sold it on ebay for about $40 more, I think. I wish I still had that lens now. (kicking self) They fetch a pretty penny now on ebay now that the K100D and K10D are out and getting rave reviews.

I just put through the order for the Sony A100K w/ the kit zoom. It will be about $515 after tax and shipping. I'm going to shop around for a nice telephoto lens on ebay. I'm looking for something with 200mm or higher, any recommendations?

What's your budget for a lens? I can make suggestions on nice lenses, but they'll cost much more than your whole camera.

I'm going to shop around for a nice telephoto lens on ebay. I'm looking for something with 200mm or higher, any recommendations?
You will likely pay more on ebay than you would just ordering it with your employee discount at Circuit City.

One thing to remember is that with camera bodies such as the A100, Maxxum 5D & 7D, and the Pentax K100D and K10D, you don't necessarily need fast lenses unless you're an aspiring sports photographer. (in that case, you don't really need to start looking until you have at least $4k together...)

I checked out the basic 50-200 lens for my Pentax last night. Just doing the test shots, at night, I had one shot at 1/90s at f/5.6 and 200mm that came out sharp. This wouldn't have been the case without the anti shake.

So knowing that, and knowing that the reviewers rate the Minolta/Sony anti-shake as better than that of the Pentax, I would recommend the Sony kit lens. Even though it is slow, it is still sharp and will give you good shots overall thanks to the anti-shake in the Sony body.

Of course an f/2.8 would still be nicer, but then we're talking about a price range of at least $400-600, maybe more.

I believe Minolta also made a 300mm mirror lens for Maxxum at one point. I know they made a 500mm mirror lens, and Minolta's were the only ones to autofocus.

This is a good route you're taking. Covering everything except very wide angles and very long telephotos. You will know what you like to do by the time you purchase your next lens; more close-up, more telephoto, or more wide angle.

I thought I got a discount on lenses but I don't. Turns out the discount was only on a few select Nikkor lenses (mainly the lower-end ones). I think I'm going to go for an entry level zoom lens in the range of 50-200 or 100-300 just to get a feel for it. After that, and after I've saved up some more money, I'll look into more expensive glass.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back