First DSLR

Aruzuriel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I guess this requires some back story, sorry. I'm a college student who has always had an interest in photography, lately that interest has really taken off and including taking some classes and even looking in to majoring in photography potentially. Anyways my parents have agreed to get me a camera seeing as they got my brother a car and my other brother a computer and me nothing like that. The only thing is they said I have to get it from Best Buy and they are willing to spend around $600 and potentially 800-900 if I contribute some of my own money.

Now I am wondering several things, should I convince them to purchase a the camera else where or would Best Buy be fine?

Also would it be better to buy a cheaper DSLR body and spend some money on a lens then buy a higher end one with a kit.

Now as to what camera I would actually get I am not sure. I have no brand preference and have done some research but still feel I could use some help on this one any ideas or input would be great.

Sorry about the length but if you need to know anything else or if I left something out let me know. I have to head to work soon but will be back as soon as I can. Thanks again.

I would spend the money on the lens ... I have always spent more money on my lenses as the camera body.

I have a Sony a100 ... not the best camera around, functionally ... I figure the body is worth about $400.00 ... I have spent about 4x that on my lenses.
I have replaced my kit lens (I got a good price on the kit vs. body only) with a better one after about a month.

You will get a number of different opinions on what is the best camera for $xxx.00 ... but remember, everyone here will always talk about lens quality.

Well that's what I have heard from the little research I did. Just wondering what are some good options for my price range and me being rather new to photography.

I think you will be better off buying from a reputable online retailer. your money would go a longer way. if you are not in a rush there are deals somewhere out there. there is even an ongoing canon rebate program.

google it and it might even get you more :D

check the online store's reputation thru Store Ratings and Reviews by Real People - Trusted Online Shopping and feel better with your purchase :D

hth

From Bestbuy?

D40 or D200. You have to get the D200 online I understand.

Then it's a matter of investing in the lenses.

Put your money in the lenses. They will be around a LOT longer than the bodies will be.

example:
Bestbuy
- Canon XSi body = $650.00
- Canon XSi kit 18-55mm = $750.00

Buy the body and use the $100.00 towards a higher quality lens.

Some Camera specialty stores will offer a "kit" price on a camera and higher quality lens ... so you should check them out first.

There might be some people on the Forum that have bought this type of kit.

I figured that buying from an actual camera retailer but would it be fine to buy from Best Buy is end up having to.

Any more suggestions on what would be a possible good purchase.

So your parents bought your brother a $600 and your other brother a $600 laptop? I'd go after the parents for more :D

Seriously though, I find that as long as you know WHAT you are buying, the store doesn't matter to much. I wouldn't trust the sales people at the Best Buy too much, although I'm sure some know what they are talking about.

One of the better and cheaper lens that many people upgrade to after the kit lens is the 50mm f/1.8. Its a prime lens (no zoom), with a cheap plastic build, but does great pictures and costs about $100. Might have AutoFocus issues on some Nikons though.

Well I figured I would do it online if I do have to buy. Also since I am new to photography would it be easier for me to just buy a kit lens and then move from there after having my camera for awhile.

Also I guess if I had to pick now I was thinking maybe the Nikon D60, kit and then also get another lens or just use the kit lens for awhile.

Well I figured I would do it online if I do have to buy. Also since I am new to photography would it be easier for me to just buy a kit lens and then move from there after having my camera for awhile.

Also I guess if I had to pick now I was thinking maybe the Nikon D60, kit and then also get another lens or just use the kit lens for awhile.

If you're really wanting to get serious about it, skip the D60 or purchase elsewhere. I bought the D60 kit w/ the 18-55mm & 55-200mm lenses from BB and spent over $900 because I chose to do the replacement plan. 2 months later, sold the body and 18-55mm and upgraded to the D90. I don't want to bash the camera because it is a good camera to learn on but you will find a few of it's features quite limiting (no built in AF motor for older AF lenses, 3 AF points, one dial, etc.). If you do go this route, buy online from Adorama, B&H, or Amazon as their price will be far cheaper and you can more easily sell it for close to what you paid (unlike me).

I would even look into Canon models right now too as they have some rebates going on. I've seen some ridiculous work done with the XTi and XS.

Well if I were to forget about Best Buy and be more open with the choices I have what would some of you recommend?

I would never buy camera gear from Best Buy. For the price of a body there, you can get the next best body from B&H for the same price, if not less.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back