First DSLR

bex

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm planning on buying my first DSLR and was thinking about getting the Canon t2i. I would like to just buy the body and get a better lens, but I have no idea which lens would be best. I have been looking into the Canon f1.4 50mm or the f1.8 50mm. Any suggestions?

There's no "best lens". What are you planning to shoot? What is your budget? Try to be more specific.

I think he's already nudging his nose towards something, Tomasko.
I have been looking into the Canon f1.4 50mm or the f1.8 50mm.

bex said:
I'm planning on buying my first DSLR and was thinking about getting the Canon t2i. I would like to just buy the body and get a better lens, but I have no idea which lens would be best. I have been looking into the Canon f1.4 50mm or the f1.8 50mm. Any suggestions?

I just did nearly the same thing. I picked up a T3i and the 50mm f/1.4 and I am delighted! It is fast and lets in a ton of light. I went with the f/1.4 over the f/1.8 because I liked it's bokeh better. The combo is amazing even in full auto, but the artistic modes are even more outstanding.

I'm an amateur at best. My only real experience was a trip to Europe with my father's XTi. I figured I could borrow a couple of his lenses if need be, but the 50 seemed like a great way to verse myself in the camera modes, practice on my feet, and understand the body a lot better.

Some may suggest a similar build with a Sigma-made lens (50mm f/1.4), but for the money, the Canon is a win. (even if you go 1.8. I tried it out and for the price it really is a great deal!)

Just know that a prime is going to put you in a few situations where you need to get up and move to fit your subject into the frame. If you are going to spend a lot of your time taking photos in a smaller space, it might be a better fit to get a kit lens (18-55mm with IS). You can get one used for about $100.

Most reactions

Back