First DSLR

Coffee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi!

I´m considering of buying my first DSLR. I´m mostly intrested in Nikon
cameras, especially models D80 and D70s. Being an older model D70s is much more affordable where I live (D80 - 400 €) and is said to have a very good kit lens.

I admit this can be a very tricky question without a definitive answer but I´m going to ask it anyway. Would it make any sense to buy D70s over D80? In other words, is D80:s improved performance and extra features worth 400 €. I won´t mind upgrading my camera to a better one after 2 or 3 years if I feel so. I just want to get into photography and possibly save some money for future investments on the way. That 400 € would make a nice start for a lens collection.

Thanks for your time.

Welcome to the forum.

Typically...it is better off to spend less on the body and more on lenses...unless you really need the features that the more expensive body offers. I'm a Canon user, so I'm not up all that much on the difference between the D70s and the D80...but there are plenty of people here who are.

Have you considered the D50?

I´ve considered the D50 put heva been put off by the kit lens. Here in Finland D50 kit is cheaper than just the D50 body so trying to save by buying just the body isn´t really a good idea.

Could you recommend an option from Canon, Mike?

From Canon you can look at the EOS 30D or the EOS Rebel XTi. You might also consider the slightly older and outdated 20D or Rebel XT...if you can find them.

There isn't really much of a difference between Canon and Nikon. They are all good cameras. My suggestion is to find a store that will let you hold them. See which one feels best to you and get that one.

the kit (body+lens) is cheaper than the body alone?

then the lens must have a negative value

what a strange world we live in!

If the D50 kit is cheaper than the body alone, I'd say buy the D50 and use the remaining funds on a 50mm f/1.8 and a decent telephoto zoom. There's nothing technically wrong with the kit zoom. It's not a great lens, but if you're actually saving money by buying it, it's sort of a no-brainer.

If you do decide to check your options from the Canon line, the Digital Rebel XT can be had for bargain prices currently, since everyone is upgrading to the XTi. Again, there's nothing wrong with the XT, but the media hypes every new product as "must-have," and the public generally responds by buying it.

If the options are available, don't forget to look at the Pentax and Sony line of DSLR cameras. They're both fine options for reasonable prices, with plenty of available glass.

The D50 is still a great camera. I'm not sure the differences between a d70s and D50 are that great, and the D50 can be had for a very good price. If as you said it's cheaper to buy the D50 with kit lens than without then you may as well just use that lens or sell it, and you'll still have a lot of money left over to spend on better glass.

Before you buy, hold them in your hands. If you're like most guys, you'll find that the Canon Rebels are a bit small in the hands.

If you're leaning toward Nikon, there's no reason to change that. They're good cameras, and they usually fit mens' hands better. I think your instinct to go for the D70 is probably a good one. Save the change for a good lens or three. A D70 with a good lens will shoot better pictures than a D80 with a crappy one.

That said, you should really research it more and find out what features you really need. Go and do some reading & comparisons at www.dpreview.com and www.steves-digicams.com. To keep it somewhat brief, you can use the compare feature on dpreview, and read the conclusions pages only. The D80 does offer more features than the D70, to the extent that the reviewers are kind of surprised, because it makes the D200 look like a waste of money in many respects. But if you don't need those features, who cares?

I have read that the D80 has a better kit lens than the D40. But the difference may not be as big in practice as the numbers show. Many of us are happily shooting sharp, undistorted images with kit lenses.

My advice would be to get the D50 and a couple of very nice lenses. (i.e. the kit lens, and a good, stabilized telephoto zoom...)

The only thing you need to remember when contemplating buying the D70s and upgrading later is memory cards. The D70s uses Compact Flash and for me I considered this an advantage because I plan to use mine as a backup to a more professional body D200, D2X, or whatever future model all of them use CF cards if you do not plan to go up to a body like that in the future it might be better to consider one of the newer consumer models that use the SD card so when purchasing your body your memory can be interchanged in a future model.

i have the D70s, and I really don't like it. I'd recommend the D50 or D40 or D80 over the D70s any day.

I just got the D80 and I like it a lot thus far but usage has been very limited as of yet. I opted for the body only, and got a Sigma 17-70 lens as it had very good reviews as an all around lens which is perfect for me seeing as I'm just starting out. The body cost me $924, and the lens $389.

Most reactions

Back