First DSLR?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by SPYderBra, Sep 5, 2007.

1. SPYderBra

SPYderBra TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I like photography but I am a complete noobie at it. I've just lurked here for about a year and played a bit with a ****ty point and shoot sony but now me and my brother want a nice new camera to learn and we'd like to keep it for a few years before trading for another.
    I am in Brazil so the prices here are just overtaxed stupidly like more than 180% of the prices in the US, so we would import it from paraguay at no taxes, and that limits a lot of the marke.

The camera will be used for a very general use, specially outdoor shootings (I plan to show a lot of the south brazilians scenery to you guys after I learn a bit) and some portrait/body shootings to get some women :cool: . My dad has a bureau of advertising that has a Roland 745EX printer that prints up to 2meter so it could be useful there too.

The store we will buy from will be this one - www.digitalcenterpy.com -. We will pay for a guy the bring it from there for 20% of the value of the product.
    We are highly interested in the nikon d80 body at US$950. But what about the lens? I want to pay up to around US$600 in the lens. Maybe we should get two of them for a more wide use? There is also two kits choice for the one with a 18-135 for US$ 1.230 and another with a 18-70 for US$ 1.270.

About the lens, I have a choice to buy a nikon or a sigma lens
    These are the nikons
    http://www.digitalcenterpy.com/busca_produtos.php?acao=busca-cat&id=46
    And the sigmas
    http://www.digitalcenterpy.com/busca_produtos.php?acao=busca-cat&id=39
    I dont know what I should be looking at for a first lens that would be decent enough for what I want.

But I am missing something about the cam, is there a better choice other than the D80 around that price range in that site?

Sorry about the hundredth thread about a first camera.

2. Keagle

Keagle TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    To be honest, the D80 is supposed to be a pretty nice camera. If you can only get one lens, go with the 18-135, and otherwise go for the 18-70. Either one will suit you fine. Should be enough for portraits and landscapes. Though, this advice could be complete bull, as I'm a teeny bit new to this, but I thought I'd try and help out.

3. Sideburns

Sideburns TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    anything against canon? The Rebel XTi or D20 would be a good bet.

And the Canon 50mm 1.8 is like 120...and that leaves you some extra for a nice telephoto...

Just a suggestion.

4. Syndac

Syndac TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I had a feeling that would happen... yet again. :roll: