First E-Session.....Please C&C

dizzyg44

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The images didn't really turn out quite as well as I'd hope as this was my first time doing my own shoot, got too carried away with trying to be creative that I didn't pay attention to alot of the basics that I should have. It was overwhelming a little at times.

but anyway, here's a couple from a practice Engagement session for a co-worker.....

Please C&C so I can learn more. Thanks

3644912733_116dc75ed8.jpg

3645701592_8b959d58e0.jpg

3645710554_9537a4f495.jpg

3648463855_a79f3e5793.jpg

Me personally i would have liked to see more of the face's. Not to fond of the blur in number 3 and 3,4 there are some limbs chopped off but over all it was ok.

The first one just has too much blackness for me, I would rather see the couple take up more of the pic. I would really like the 2nd one, but you may want to try and crop out the girls legs, just because you can see up her dress somewhat. I also think the last two, but i like the pose in the second one better. These two poses also seem that they would work better as wedding poses, just because of being focused on both of the rings. His being a class ring in these and if his was a wedding ring it would mean a little bit more you know. Also, be careful with the blowouts with the all white clothing. Other than that these pics look very promising, keep up the good work!

You did a pretty good job for it being your first time :) I can completely relate on the 'overwhelming' side of things, especially when you are working with two people (especially if they are self conscious). Some people have already mentioned the first having too much vignetting and the dress angle in the second but your exposure looks pretty much spot on (which is hard when they are both wearing all white!). Good job :)

Thanks guys, I'll keep these things in mind.

I didn't really discuss clothing other than keep it simple but when I saw them arrive wearing all white I was like "oh creap"

I took just under 500 shots in this session but ruined most as I was constantly looking at the screen mostly worrying about the exposure but not looking at my actual setting and I started stepping way below 1/60th so I missed focus on a lot of them. I was shooting in full manual the whole time. Most of the evening we didn't have much light, it was a first for me to really use my SB-800 with natural lighting. I'm glad I did or things would have ended up much worse.

It was really hard getting them to just interact with each other as if they were the only two people in the world you know, but there was just so many other things going on around us that they kept wanting to watch. Oh well, they picked the location not me :)

It was at the waterfront park in Charleston SC

I think for a first attempt, you did ok.

1- way too much blackness. The picture looks like a fun picture, in a nice setting, that is ruined by the blackness. It makes me think that the blackness is hiding something wrong. This one might look good in BW or Sepia

2- Probably the best of the lot, but its a bit too far out. Zooming in shows closeness, being zoomed out shows you being far, which is less intimate.

Between 3 and 4, I prefer 3. I like better the look on their faces than in #4, it looks more natural. While blurred, the background is still important. Although the elbows are cut in both of them.

Maybe bring a tripod to your next shoot. Even if its not 100% needed, its often great for making you take the time to think instead of just snapping. Might not want to do this all the time, as it does slow you down a bit, but if you have the time, and if you are having issues with taking the time to think, a tripod might help.

Its ok to take alot of images, just make sure you are taking multiples of the same thing...portrait, landscape, zoomed in, zoomed out...

Get them to talk about whatever, like a natural discussion, even before shooting. "how did you guys meet" or something similar if you don't know them, or something more casual if they are already your friends. When you get them talking and comfortable just sitting, then start snapping pictures.

Or you can start snapping and just tell them that you are just goign to take a bunch of pics simply to test out the lighting in the area and arrange settings. While this is partially true, telling them you are doing that will not make them think that the shoot is on and might make them more comfortable. No need to tell them when you are really starting :)

Most reactions

Back