First Engagement Picture Shoot: Comments Wanted

You need to use different kind of lens flare if you want it. That one is more like a flare of the sun toward your 50mm lens directly

1. The first thing my eye goes to is the dirt on his hand...second is that her hand goes into his in a way that makes her pointing finger look like a sausage. third the vignetting is too hard.

2. I think there should have been some kind of lighting on the ring to make the rocks sparkle...they seem a bit dull and doesn't really stick out in the picture.

3. I like the idea, but it's a bit over done...the fake flare doesn't add anything...it kinda drowns out the ring, when in my opinion I think the ring should be the focal point of the shot.

4. I think they should have been the the far left of the shot, maybe get her feet into the picture... and placing her right arm differently may have made for a more flattering pose.

5. out of focus BW shot + crumpled paper texture = not a good picture.

Overall, I think you've got the right ideas... and I have a hunch that the un-processed version of couple of them are actually better than what we see here. I'm no pro, not even close. My opinion is more of your everyday person looking at the photos. I learn more about right/wrong from reading people critiques on this site than anywhere else.

1. I agree his palm does look a little dirty and the effects are very harsh. Also, I think her ring should be the most in focus thing, and not her fingernails.
2. I like but it seems a little OOF and I would crop that dark band across the top.
3. I can't really tell if anything is in focus because of the flare, but I have to ask myself WHY!? would a woman taking engagement pictures wear a ring on the same hand as her engagement ring?? Would love to see the original.
4. Again, I don't really like the effect of this. It's too black at the corners. His face is really red, but might could be fixed in PP. They don't really seem as sharp as they could be and her shirt bunched up right above his arm bothers me.
5. Looks like a good shot. I would love to see the original.

I think that the Post Processing is WAY too much. I think that #1 is the best of the bunch but the dirt on his hand and the harsh vignette is too much. Try a softer feather and smaller vignetter. Also try to fix the dirt on his hand ( not sure if you PS7 has this ability ).

#2 would be cool but again the post processing is kinda sloppy in this one. You need a nicer feather on your effects and I would just stick with the blur, not a color/saturation change as well. Nice concept overall though.

#3 is a nice shot but the PP is noticeably faked although this one isn't too bad and the bride would probably like it.

#4 is decent but again the vignette needs to be toned down a bit.

#5 I don't really like the effect, especially for these photos.

I think overall you should try to Post Process with adjustments to color/saturation/contrast and feathering the vignettes better. I would do all of this to the photos and try to allow them to stand on their own. Maybe touch up skin and stuff of that nature to really finesse these pics. Just because you can do a million effects does not mean you should. There doesn't seem to be any cohesion to these pics. They are all just random manipulations. I would try to be more straightforward. From what I have seen most people prefer relatively tame engagement and wedding photos. Its always nice to maybe do one shot specifically for a cool effect ( like your ring flare shot for instance ) but overall, the bulk of their photos should probably be relatively tame in terms of noticed effects. Hope this helps. Overall a good try if you have never done this kind of thing before. I am sure you have many more shots that you did not show as well so this is just what I have to go on.

Reshoot.

Find a better time of day, good locations chosen- try an hour or so before sunset.

Maybe add some fill flash as needed, always have an assistant there with you.

Relax on the PP, trying to make any picture great in post only makes it worse, get them right in camera first.

p!nK

On the second one the colored portion is scribbled in....

On the second one the colored portion is scribbled in....

I know, right?

And like everyone else has said, that vignette on #1 is just terrible. It should be way more subtle.

On the whole, your processing is terrible and it really takes away from the photos.

Holy cow, I didn't notice that until it was mentioned, but now to go back and look at it.... whoa. It really is just... scribbled...

Most reactions

Back