First Engagement shoot EVER C&C please

shortpballer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.dossantoslemone.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey everyone, I found this couple on model mayhem. I'm normally a fashion photographer but have since been looking into doing weddings. Want to get your take on my engagement photos. Put a little bit of a fashion twist on them ;) . Honest critiques appreciated as well :)

engagement1.jpg

engagement2.jpg

engagement3.jpg

I like your use of the edge lighting outside. I would like to see more of a connection between the couple. Since they were models and not really a couple, chemistry is hard to fake. Not a huge fan of #1, but that's just me. The engagement session is about the excitement between two people in love. Technically they are nice. Would love to see what you do with a real couple.

Cute couple, poses, composution but your lighting is horrible. Very harsh & direct.
There's a big difference b/n engagement/wedding photography and fashion/modeling photography.
If you want, PM me, we'll talk more about it.

They are a real couple. I have a lot more standard engagement shots. However everyone in the world does those, so I figured I would pose the unique ones.

I like your use of the edge lighting outside. I would like to see more of a connection between the couple. Since they were models and not really a couple, chemistry is hard to fake. Not a huge fan of #1, but that's just me. The engagement session is about the excitement between two people in love. Technically they are nice. Would love to see what you do with a real couple.

Now, here, I see the fashion style way more than in the wedding shots you posted earlier. And I basically like them. Basically, because there are a few problems.

#1 I love that shot but it doesn't say engagement to me. Actually, I would never have thought of engagement if you had not mentioned it. Now, I don't really know what people do with engagement photos since I never did any (I included a B&W portrait in a style of their choice in my wedding contract but I wouldn't call that an engagement shot) but I don't see the couple sending this one to their family unless the family is of the creative type. The couple itself would have to be creative to like it which, in this case, being models, they should be a bit...

#2 The only thing I really don't like about this one is her smile. It looks a bit forced, unnatural, and since he is not smiling she didn't need to either. Maybe you have an alternative where she doesn't smile. Also, I would trim some of the tree by cropping from the right which would also center them more. Right now, he is centered, but not the couple.

#3 No problem here.

In real estate, they always say location, location, location. In photography, I always say details, details, details. You are getting there. :thumbup:

Btw, I totally disagree with IgsEMT. The only difference is the one you make. If your clients like your style, why do the usual thing? Actually, by being different from the 95% of wedding photogs who all do the same stuff, you may make a name for yourself. When I started doing weddings, I did the traditional thing and I absolutely hated it. I went to doing them PJ style and got myself better clients and a lot more income. Plus, it turned out to be a lot more relax because my work could not be compared to other wedding photogs since our styles were so different. Just make sure your clients fully understand you are not doing the traditional thing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back