First Entry Level DSLR Primarially Video?

I'd personally go with the T3i.

Here is a side-by-side of the T3i/600D vs the GH2 shot by Andrew Reid of eoshd: https://vimeo.com/23395345

My challenge with Canons isn't just the poor video ergonomics (blank viewfinder and no autofocus) - but also the softness of the images.

Some people like that look - I don't. To each his or her own :)

Cheers,

Bill

FWIW, the 30 minute time limit is keep the image sensor from overheating.

You are mistaken. It is simply to make the price of the camera cheaper because they can bypass tax that is being enforced by World Trade Organization for Video Camera. I guess if you can only record less than 30 minutes, it is not a "video camera".

30 Minute Video Limit in Digital Cameras May Be On Its Way Out

Respectfully, you are both right. In EU countries, the 30 minute limit is, in fact, a tax limitation.

Outside of the EU, however, video clip length limits are sometimes a sensor heating limitation (Sony NEX), sometimes an arbitrary 30 minute limit for worldwide standardization and/or product differentiation from videocams (high end Sony Alpha), and sometimes a 12 minute FAT32 4GB file size limitation because the manufacturer picked a codec that doesn't allow a bridge between file segments in software (Canon).

Only Panasonic has devoted the engineering effort required to give consumers (outside of the EU) a "DSLR-type" camera with no arbitrary, sensor-driven, or codec-driven time limitations.

I don't work for these guys - and despite how this sounds, I'm not a fanboi - but I really respect what they have done since entering this marketplace from a standing start 3 years ago.

Cheers,

Bill

I am a huge fan of Nikon for photo, BUT for video Canon blows them away. Id stay away from sony. I support this because of lens availability(to my knowledge). Canon and Nikon offer a much broader selection of lenses. The Canon T2i is very good. Id buy a T3i because of the flip out screen.

One problem with all DSLR cameras is that the recording time is limited to 20min??? This means that you can't film a live event in the future such as a concert or play. You will record for 20min then it stops and then you have to record again - yes even if you have a 32gb card. Also with long events(to my knowledge) there aren't any ac adapters that will give you constant power.

I know you said you are doing short films n what not but I wanted you to be aware of these constraints.

If you get into fast action, there is always the rolling shutter problem as well.

Perhaps the 20 minute limit is there to prevent sensor burnout?

If you're shooting a short fim, there are going to be LOTS of breaks and downtime, so, that should give the sensor adequate rest, correct?

What I've shot with it so far, yes, there is no instance really where I'll need to keep rolling past 20 minutes. It's beautiful :3

Anyone know of any DSLR's that are good for doing 60% video and 40% photo? My price range is under 490$. I've been looking at the Nikon D3100, but dont want that "jello effect" if i move my tripod too fast..

Hi jake - sadly, all CMOS camcorders and DSLRs are subject to CMOS "wobble" or "jello" if panned too quickly.

That said, you can work around this challenge with smooth camera movement.

The best 60/40 video/still camera bodies are the Panasonic GH series. In your price range, I recommend a $199 used Panasonic GH1 with new 19mm and used 30mm Sigma autofocusing micro 4/3 system lenses (total cost about $480),

The GH series cameras combine the advantages of camcorders and DSLRs - with "DSLR" style shallow depth of field, fast vdeo autofocus (with system lenses), unlimited video clip length, resistance to moire and aliasing, a viewfinder that continues to work in video mode (unlike the D3200's) and an external 2.5mm mic input (you'll need a $5 adapter to make it work with standard microphones).

Here is an example of what this camera can do:

Cinematography Demo Reel: 2011/12 WARNING: NSFW (hacked GH1):

[video=vimeo;43625636]http://vimeo.com/43625636[/video]

Hope this is helpful,

Bill

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Here is another example of what the GH1 can do:

Gravity Commercial
[video=vimeo;32597417]http://vimeo.com/32597417[/video]

DSLRs usually don't have option of "continuous auto focus." You'll need to adjust it manually all the time. It is better to buy a movie camera instead.

DSLRs usually don't have option of "continuous auto focus." You'll need to adjust it manually all the time. It is better to buy a movie camera instead.

"Continuous Auto Focus" has a bad meaning as well. It means that your unit is "focus hunting" if set to "continuous" in your menu-ie subjects continue to be "In and Out of Focus".

Set your camera for "one time AF" ( or something like that) and keep your lens wide, you will not have these problems...

This is not true for Sonys DSLTs and Panasonic DSLMs. Here is an example of the GH1's AFC (AutoFocus-Continuous) mode:

[video=vimeo;5264787]http://vimeo.com/5264787[/video]

Most reactions

New Topics

Back