First ever photos (C&C) and a few questions!

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by EdMuju, Jun 28, 2010.

1. EdMuju

EdMuju TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey guys - been lurking for a little while now, recently got my first ever camera (powershot SD1200) and have been voraciously reading everything I can find about photography. Although it fascinates me, I'm finding it really challenging! So, here I have my first few exposures (I know they're not all that good, but ANY tips/advice would be appreciated) and a few basic questions.

What I struggle with primarily is developing an eye for composition, so to speak - I know it's silly to think that I can learn this over a forum, but any basic tips in that realm would also be great.

Second on my list is that I'd like to be able to take some stunning landscape shots. I live in a mountainous area and the scenery is breathtaking. Every exposure I've taken looks flat, dull, lifeless and definitely does not provide the same sense of awe that I get when I look at other (good!) landscape photos. They have more colors, they're richer, and they look deep. Definitely could use some help in this area!

[​IMG]

My first attempt at any sort of macro - one thing I know I screwed up is that I oversaturated it in photoshop. Something I'll avoid next time (I don't know how to go back and fix it, haha... also a PS newbie).

[​IMG]

Took this one last night - I live in the mountains of South Korea, so there's some opportunity for some neat landscapes, caught this one as the sun went down. It's my favorite of the three, but I wish there were more colors, instead of just that intense orange. Any tips there, or is that a light thing?

[​IMG]

Finally an attempt at night photography. Shot at about 11 PM during an overcast full moon. A little grainy, but I kind of like it - it almost doesn't look like a photo.

Thanks for any help you can provide! Either with shot taking, artistry, technical stuff, or any PP work.

2. iPhoto17

iPhoto17 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    awesome job, i love that last in particular, that would look great hanging on my wall, i love the rundown look, im currently working on an "abandonment" project

3. Cpt.Beyond

Cpt.Beyond TPF Noob!

I like the third 1 , it looks like a scene ripped out of terran badlands in the blizzard game "starcraft". It almost looks like a miniature model of it

4. JackAlexander

JackAlexander TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The second pic is splendid. It reminds me of my childhood! Miss it!!!:thumbup:

5. EdMuju

EdMuju TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the positive feedback guys - anyone have any criticisms or advice for landscaping, etc. from my original post?

/shameless bump =P

6. supraman215

supraman215 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    This is the second reference I've seen to this game in less than 24 hours. Never heard of it before. However when I look at Wikipedia the box cover looks vaguely familiar.

7. flyingember

flyingember TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    #1 try a different angle. you have a distracting pink sploch behind your subject.

#2. I like it. I was thinking to crop it tighter but I used my hands to do that and it didn't work.

#3. too much sky, there's no real subject.