First Flash Options

madisonofriel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The Metz is probably the best made of all those flashes, and is likely very simple and easy to work. It's made in Germany by an old-line flash company...but one which I found out filed for bankruptcy a while back. Still, if I had to bet money on which flash would actually still be functioning in four years, it would be the Metz, not any of the made in China knock-offs. The used "Bolt" flash for $119? B&H ought to be ashamed of itself. No ******g way would I buy that.

My suggestion: buy the Yongy for $104, and when it dies, get another one. If you NEED a flash you can absolutely count on to work for professional use, buy two of the Yongy's for $208.

Wow, the 568ex for $104 is a Steal! Was a good deal when it sold for $180. You really can't go wrong for $104. I have the 565 and 560-ii and both have been troopers. Well worth the money. I may just pick up the 568 now to have for HSS.

The Metz is probably the best made of all those flashes, and is likely very simple and easy to work. It's made in Germany by an old-line flash company...but one which I found out filed for bankruptcy a while back. Still, if I had to bet money on which flash would actually still be functioning in four years, it would be the Metz, not any of the made in China knock-offs. The used "Bolt" flash for $119? B&H ought to be ashamed of itself. No ******g way would I buy that.

My suggestion: buy the Yongy for $104, and when it dies, get another one. If you NEED a flash you can absolutely count on to work for professional use, buy two of the Yongy's for $208.
Crap I literally just bought it! WHAT DO I DO! I really trusted B&H.

What did you buy?

What did you buy?
The used one... No one replied so I figured i'd try it out and return it if it didn't look good. Now I'm kind of freaking out.

I am guessing you bought the Metz? Or did you buy the used Bolt? I dunno...B&H has a good return policy. QUALITY flash units can last 20,30 years in light to moderate use...I have 20,25,and 30 year-old flashes made in Japan from Nikon, Pentax, Sunpak, and Vivitar...all first-quality units, which is what Metz was famous for: QUALITY build, quality components, sound design. I don't know what to tell you...again...there have been flash units designed and built to last, and there are MIC flashes designed to sell lots of units, cheaply, and at low price. I think two of the Yongnuo's at $204 total might be a good investment. This is a tricky area; there are a lot of people who swear by the made in China budget flashes, and they love to talk about how awesome they are. I think the Neewer 750, bought in a quantity of two, or three, might be a good strategy. It's tough to talk about this subject without the MIC brigade being butt-hurt when the reliability of $50,$60,$70,$80, $100 flash units is brought up; for some people reliability means a year or two until it is thrown away, for others, the time frame is a decade or two...

I am guessing you bought the Metz? Or did you buy the used Bolt? I dunno...B&H has a good return policy. QUALITY flash units can last 20,30 years in light to moderate use...I have 20,25,and 30 year-old flashes made in Japan from Nikon, Pentax, Sunpak, and Vivitar...all first-quality units, which is what Metz was famous for: QUALITY build, quality components, sound design. I don't know what to tell you...again...there have been flash units designed and built to last, and there are MIC flashes designed to sell lots of units, cheaply, and at low price. I think two of the Yongnuo's at $204 total might be a good investment. This is a tricky area; there are a lot of people who swear by the made in China budget flashes, and they love to talk about how awesome they are. I think the Neewer 750, bought in a quantity of two, or three, might be a good strategy. It's tough to talk about this subject without the MIC brigade being butt-hurt when the reliability of $50,$60,$70,$80, $100 flash units is brought up; for some people reliability means a year or two until it is thrown away, for others, the time frame is a decade or two...
I mean all the reviews were good... I really wanted the Nikon SB-700, But I just cant spend that kind of money right now. So I have to settle for crap. This is really driving me nuts.

i bought several yongnuo 568EX flashes when they first came out at $180.
I have used them for weddings and portraits with the yongnuo radio triggers and they have all performed fantastic...you know...for Chinese kock-off's.

Metz is a well known and trusted brand name in flashes, but I dont know very many people that actually own them. However, I always hear good things about them.

never heard anything about the bolt flash.

From your list, I would go with the Yongnuo flash and get two of them for the same price as the Metz.

im hesitant to mention a flash that I have only had for two months and a couple portrait sessions to test, but...
I picked up a Neewer VK750II flash back in early April for $60 brand new and so far it has performed really well.
It does TTL, but not HSS so if you need/want the HSS you'll have to go with a different flash like the 568EX.

If the yougnuo is so good, why is it cheaper? SHOULD I CANCEL MY ORDER?
I think i still can in the next 10 mins?!?!

Call or e-mail B&H and cancel if you want to. The D3000 can not do HSS (aka AUTO FP Sync in Nikon-speak), so there's no need for a flash that can synch at high speeds.

do you need/want TTL?
I rarely use TTL myself, so its not very high up on my "give a crud" list.
if you dont care about TTL, i would look at some older Nikon flashes.
up until recently, I had half a dozen SB24's and SB28's that were still working perfectly, that I got USED 10 years ago.
I sold a few, donated a few, and got some newer flashes that did HSS. (the 568EX's)
you can get an SB24 off ebay for +/-$50. It really is a tank of a flash and will literally take a beating and still work.

Also, you can get a used SB600's for around $150 or less
I found the menu to be a PITA on the SB600, and much preferred my SB700, but its still a great flash, and within your listed budget.

I found the menu to be a PITA on the SB600, and much preferred my SB700, but its still a great flash, and within your listed budget.
Really? Where?

Really? Where?

ebay
nikon sb600 in Camera Flashes and Flash Accessories eBay

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back