First Glitz shot CC Please

gigiphotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
glitz3.jpg

This is my first attempt at what the pageant world calls glitz shots. Just wondering if it's trash or if there might be something there.

I like it, nice job composing and posing. Did you do anything in post?

I agree with the focus being sharper, where was your focus point, or were you in auto-area letting the cmaera choose the focus point? Although it could be slight camera shake. Was this shot on a tripod? The exif reports 1/40 at 42mm. That may not be the issue, but I'll speak to it should it prove helpful to you (or anyone else) in case they have not heard this before:

A rule of thumb for overcoming camera shake is 1/focal length. So if your lens is at 42mm, the rule would be around where you had it (1/40). However, since there is a crop factor on some cameras (1.5 on the Nikon) that's a 35mm equivalent of 63mm (35mm film cameras is what the 1/focal length rule was created for). That would mean 1/60 for a steady shot. At 1/40 this puts the shot past the edge of being able to hold it steady.

Some folks can hand hold to lower speeds than others, and good holding technique can make a big difference, so that's just a guide to keep in mind. Also, a flash when appropriate for the shot will help (within reason). Add to the mix concerns of composition and the distraction of the joy of taking pictures of your cute kid and hand holding steady enough falls in the "things to remember" category that sometimes gets forgotten in the details of all the other shot concerns.

Sorry to go off on that tangent, but thought it might be useful info, even though it has been talked about before. Like I said, some folks reading this may not have heard that before.

I bet your having fun getting shots of your adorable girl with your D90. I chase my kids around all the time. I just checked my photo organizer/database, I have 7,199 photos of my 4 year old daughter. That's an average of 4-5 a day! LOL.

Last edited:
beautiful eyes. Seems a bit noisy to me though.

looks a little bit dark to me. the other thing i notice, which might be hard to explain to a kid, is that with her hand under the side of her face, it's smushing in her face. if you can get her to hold the hand there without actually resting on the hand, it will get the same pose without the "cheek smush". i think you're off to a good start though. my opinion is you just need a little more light and a slightly different pose.

Some quick notes:

The highlight is pretty distracting to me, to the point where I can't even look past it to see what kind of material is around her head.

Slightly soft focus

Some very weird discoloration under her eyes, the shadows are looking pretty blue yet the rest of her skin is warmer. Upon further inspection I'm realizing this is because of the light coming in and bouncing off of the hat like thingy and the extreme red is coming from the scarf. (Hope you don't mind but I put the image on my computer so I can expand it and see it better)

I believe the reason people are liking her eyes so much is because they are the only thing in focus (more so than the rest) and because they are the brightest thing around. The image is pretty dark for a glitz shot.

The posing isn't bad, and the composition works very well for what it is. I would take Rrr3319's advice and next time watch for what they are doing. Make sure they aren't doing anything unflattering.

Just checked the exif data and I really want to say, take your camera out of full auto. The shutter speed was dropped to 1/40 and the iso was cranked up to 800 (not bad in this case, but sometimes that 800 can go up to 1600 and just ruin a shot completely). Since you probably didn't notice the shutter speed had dropped so low, I can almost bet that is why this image is so slightly blurred in the focused areas.

There is something here, I mean you got the posing and composition pretty nice. Just keep practicing and train your eyes to really judge how an image looks. Also try out the aperture priority mode as a first step away from full auto

Had to look up the Glitz shot thing because I don't know the first thing about the world of pageants...

And from I saw, I would say you still have a lot of work to do. Some have dark backgrounds but most don't and the face is very well and evenly lit. Yours is way too dark in comparison.

Also, in 95% of the photos I found, the kids look like dolls with porcelain skin so you need to work on your PP also. Make up is used and eyebrows were penciled in.

Perfect exposure was the norm of course and so was super sharpness. The highlight mentioned by shmne should not be there. I don't know if the eyes are in focus but the lashes don't seem to be while in the photos I saw, the only thing not in focus was the background.

Here's a sample of what I found.
Photo Contest Winners

In reply to the link the Cloudwalker is putting up:

Oh my God!
They no longer look human! :shock:
If that is what pageant photos are meant to look like, I MUCH prefer this natural style, though I am NOT sure the colour of these eyes here is natural. It looks too blue by far to me. By far!

I agree with you LaFoto, but from what I read it seems to be the point of the Glitz shot...

Last edited:
^

That's more disturbing than the dead bird thread.

That site creeps me the hell out.

As for the original poster, the things that jump out to me are the focus and the eyes. I'm not sure if you tweaked them at all, but they look as though you did.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back