First Go at Black and White (not dial up friendly 700K)

Synergy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
This is my first go at using a black and white film, which was a Kodak Tmax 100. While I was shooting I tried to ignore colour and concentrate on shapes, lines, shadows, contrasts and I have to say it was a revealing experience to me and wonder if I’d feel differently about the results if I had used colour. Fortunately I was in luck with the weather and the beautiful gardens at Cliveden Hall provided plenty of photo opportunities.

I was pleasantly surprised at the results, although looking at the neg,it does look like I’ve over exposed every shot by a small amount, although they do look nice and contrasty to my eye. I’ve read that Tmax100 is a harder film to develop and that most people who DIY adjust the developing to there own taste. Next time I use it, I’ll know to under expose maybe half a stop.

Equipment used was my trusty Olympus OM-1 with a 30-70mm F4 Auto Focus lens. The negs where developed by Snappy Snaps in store the same day and scanned in by me using a Minolta Dimage Dual 4

I wish i'd taken a couple of primes along now to get sharper images!

Enjoy!

Synergy

frame1.jpg

frame11.jpg

frame12.jpg

frame18.jpg

frame2.jpg

frame3.jpg

frame9.jpg

I love black and white for the same reasons that you mentioned, the shapes and feelings of the photo just sort of take over. I really like the 1st and 2nd pictures that you posted, nice contrast and composition. It *almost* makes me want to try out film again. I do miss the developing days!

Pretty nice pics for a day of shooting and first time using black and white to boot. My first pictures with black and white were awful, I do not think any of my first exposures turned out right, I quickly learned that I had to take more time setting up my shots.

Most reactions

Back