First go at selective coloring....

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by jajomo, Apr 22, 2010.

1. jajomo

jajomo TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    This is a rose from my moms 70th b-day party. I placed it in a bare and dying bush...because I like that the rose was start to dye also. Any type of CC is welcomed.

[​IMG]

2. Sbuxo

Sbuxo TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Honestly, so cliche. The fact that the background is out of focus, we can't even tell if you placed it in a dying bush or a normal bush. I would make the background darker, it just seems to flat in my opinion. I don't know if you raised the contrast to make it pop more, but I can see magenta in some of the petals. If that's from the rose 'dying' then fine, if not, fix it if you can. I would of liked a bit more negative space than just the rose smack dab in my face. Try playing with angles..sorry if it sounds as if I'm just picking at your photo but this is just so overdone, and I'm over it.

Happy Birthday to your Mom.:thumbup:

3. Fedaykin

Fedaykin TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Though performed well, this has been done approximately 234,567 times in the past year alone, sorry.

4. Boomn4x4

Boomn4x4 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm not a fan of selective coloring in general... its rare I feel like it works. This is no exception.

For selective coloring to work, it must be used to bring attention to a subject that would have normally been lost in the shot. In this case, there is no reason to bring subject to the rose because there is nothing in that shot that would have hidden the rose. Its like Dolly Parton wearing a t-shirt that says, "look at my boobs".

5. JasonLambert

JasonLambert TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:Hahahahahah!!!!!:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Okay... I have to agree that it doesn't work here but I do like it in some cases. I bet it was a nice photo without all the PSing. Can you post what you started from? Possibly just a little PP (i said little pp) to give it the kick it needs?

6. jajomo

jajomo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Never claimed it was an original idea...only that it was my first attempt at PP like this. Thanks for definition of selective coloring. I'll keep that in mind for my next attempt. Appreciate the time taken for the CC everyone.

These are the originals. No PP at all. I didn't like the green steam so that was my reasoning for the tight crop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. er111a

er111a TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    interesting, but in photography you have to try to fine a new way never seen before, but this is cool.....like the last 10,000,000 ones

8. jajomo

jajomo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Just as my photo maybe boring and done a million times....repeating the same sentiment as all the other posters does nothing to help me get better. The comment about how to use selective coloring that helped. The poster who wanted to see the original to maybe get a better idea where I was coming from...that helped....but just restating the all ready stated does nothing for me...but if it helps your post count please feel free to post away at any thread I may start in the future.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  9. burstintoflame81

burstintoflame81 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    So every photo that people take of a model and retouch isn't good because its been done a million times? Or every macro shot of a fly or spiders face sucks because its been done a million times? The guy didn't come on here claiming to be the most original photographer in the world. He was just asking for some C+C.

With that said, I am not a huge fan of selective coloring either, but I think in addition to the background being a little darker you could have lit the flower better, and looks like it has a bit of a blue color cast to part of it. ( I am on my laptop though so my screen kinda sucks. )

10. da1nonlymikeo

da1nonlymikeo TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    for real. the community on this forum kinda sucks. he asked for some advise, and everyone bashes. just like EVERY OTHER post i seem to click on in this forum. idk if its just this forum, or artsy photo nerds are just cocky a**'s. k thanks, now lets hear what you have to say to me. :)

11. da1nonlymikeo

da1nonlymikeo TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    oh and btw, I really like the second non PP shot you posted, you should give it another try with that one, I would definitely like the results.

12. mostly sunny

mostly sunny TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit