First go at selective coloring....

No matter how often this "selective coloring" is being posted it's always a first time or special occasion for someone, so that's fine.

Placing the "dying" rose into a dead or dead-like bush I think is pretty macabre but that may be just me.

The rose obviously has suffered a bit hence the holes in the petals, so I understand that you wanted to give it a more "grungy" or "dying" look. The bush though doesn't work for me.

I'd have tried to place the rose on a flat surface being hit by some hard light and the use of some shadows - like a ray of light hitting the rose. Also been done a million times but I think more artistic.

On her 71st b-day I'd get a bunch of fresh roses on location to take a powerful and vivid photo full of life and love!

Belated happy b-day! ;)

Didn't want another "i'm new can't take it thread" sorry it seemed to turn out like that.

My point is.....
1. It is a first try with this type of PP...and It was naive of me to think that I would get CC only on the PP not the subject....but lesson learned.

2. Pointless CC positive or negative... is just as bad if not worse then any Cliche photo out there. It serves no purpose but to make the poster feel like they accomplished something.

3. I was told early on from an wonderful member who others say is to hard on Newbies..that it was not doing the forum or the OP any good to add an irrelevant "I like it" or "It sucks"...and I got it...I just wish others would get that lesson.

4. I will continue to post my works...and take the hard but productive CC an learn and grow from it. Its why I am here.

As a mom/wife/parent caregiver.... I just found something in photography that I do just for me and it will always be just for me. I have no great aspirations of anything greater...unlike the many "superstar" wanna bees on here. I am a perfectionist by nature and that's why I post my pictures. It is cathartic to have articulate criticism.

......"But like OMG ((twirls hair)) all the rest of U big meanies.,,,hehe..haha ((giggle)) you all are just really are like whatever!..."​

Perhaps you could try not completely removing the the color from the bg? The stark contrast between the rose and the background and the dark edges makes the rose look like it was shopped in... and not a good shop either. It was good that you saw the potential shot though.

I actually like the 3rd down, non photoshopped. Its interesting. Selective color may be "overdone"... but it's still being done, so that says something. "REAL" photographers may stick their noses in the air about it, but often times, people pay for these pictures. So, depends on who you're trying to impress... photographers, or customers. As for your pic that you did with the selective color, I agree that IMO, the crop was way too close and took the interest out of the picture. I also agree that with this type of photoshop, less is more. Also, I agree about the background being too blurred if you are going to crop that close. That being said, I didn't see any color outside of your flower lines, so it looks clean to me :)

The second to last is the best imo, I prefer the originals to the selective coloring.
*But this is for your mother's bday party? Are you shooting these specifically for their symbolism? Like the rose that grew out of the concrete...diamond in the rough kind of thing?

The second to last is the best imo, I prefer the originals to the selective coloring.
*But this is for your mother's bday party? Are you shooting these specifically for their symbolism? Like the rose that grew out of the concrete...diamond in the rough kind of thing?

No they were from her 70th b-day party and starting to wilt..which I liked...I now realize I should have tried to photograph them when they were new and full of life. Never thought about the symbolism of the photo or my original post basically saying "my poor mom was dying rose" Sorry Mom!

Hey, even though it's been done to death and back, just like Jesus in the Brandy glass and the BG overlooking their own wedding, sometimes you gotta do it.

So how do you do it well and believable? When you paint back in, lower the opacity to about half. You will get a nice tone with no cheeze. :)

Most reactions

Back