First graduation shoot... Done.

fiveoboy01

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Some of you may remember I put up a thread asking for grad shoot tips and tricks... Well I did the shoot today and it's done. Well almost. I have a few hundred photos to go through.

I am going to post a few as I get them edited... I really would appreciate any critique, as I want to know how I can improve these photos.

1 - exposed for the background, SB900/48" umbrella high camera left.

654689659_X2Kei-XL.jpg

I like both of these. I think the first one turned out really nice. It might just be my {old} eyes this morning since its still early, but the focus in the second shot looks a bit soft. The glare of the white wall at the far left looks a bit harsh to me also, but thats just my opinion. ;)

I think they're both great shots. The first one is great and I think a nice way to showcase the ring. I agree that the glare of the wall is a little distracting, but nice capture with the little dog.

Thanks... Didn't notice the washed out wall, good to have someone else notice it for me.

Someone in another forum pointed out that the skin tones could use lightening up, and the stray hair on her right be cloned out, so I tried my hand at fixing it. Don't know how much better this is:

654761576_DZPRJ-XL.jpg

Again, my opinion, but this one looks too dark to me.

Ok thanks a lot...

Approximately how much more flash power do you think would have resulted in proper exposure? The umbrella was about 3 feet from the subject, maybe a tad less... I couldn't get it any closer due to the creek being in the way.

Ok, I finally got done with all the photos, mainly cloning out small facial imperfections, sharpening around the eyes and some slight blurring on the rest of the face. Complete gallery is here, but I know that nobody likes to click gallery links;)

Any comments on these are welcome, if not, I'll just shut up now:lol:

656041794_2fgqK-XL.jpg

656053058_boNiP-L.jpg

656543961_Pi5ss-L.jpg

656537384_JWes7-XL.jpg

656018150_9NfmG-XL.jpg

Is your client against tightening up the space between her front teeth? Liquify could easily fix that up to be more visually appealing.

Boy, that's a tricky subject to broach, about the gap between a person's front teeth. The suggestion that a person needs to have his or her teeth perfected might be one of the trickiest areas to broach for a portrait shooter.

Anna Paquin has done more for ladies like this than anybody since Lauren Hutton I guess.

She actually asked me about that before the shoot, and I said that I didn't really think I could. I'm not skilled in photoshop... And I'd rather leave the gap than give her a picture that had a PS hack-job on her teeth. To clarify, this girl's parents are good friends of mine and they just couldn't afford a photographer.. they do not have much $, so I agreed to do it for them free of charge. I don't think I'm anywhere near the point where I could start charging for this type of work anyhow.

Except for a couple of slightly too-tight crops that cut into her limbs, your technical values and your posing are as good,or better, than those of a number of people who are charging money. Your humility and class come through in your posts. Recognizing your limitations and not promising more than you can deliver makes sense.

Hmm.

I assume you're speaking of #6 and #7?

Thanks for the comments and kind words. I think my photos have come a ways since I started last Christmas but I know I have a long ways to go. I actually had a lot of fun with this, and I could see myself doing it for $ in a few years, but I'm very critical of myself. Not there yet!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back