First HDR of Christmas for me

If the only light was coming from the christmas tree then its an amazing shot and you have captured a lot of detail. What was your longest exposure?

you know i was just playing with the different settings on my camera. I had it set for AEB -2, 0, +2 took 3 and spun the dial 2 clicks and then took 3 more. So i cant really tell you what the highest and lowest exposures were. I need to try and repeat what I did because i like it. The whole house was dark except for the tree lights

this is what the brightest to the lowest exposure says

Highest Exposed:

Camera: Nikon D5000
Lens: AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
Shot at 35 mm
Exposure: Manual exposure, 4 sec, f/11, ISO 1100, Compensation: +2
Flash: none
Focus: AF-S, at 5.0m, with a depth of field of about 44m, (from about 2.4m before the focus point to about 42m after)
AF Area Mode: Single Area
Date: December 10, 2011 10:14:27PM (timezone not specified)
(6 days, 2 hours, 26 minutes, 19 seconds ago, assuming image timezone of 7 hours behind GMT)
Time Zone Offset: -07:00
File: 4,288 × 2,848 JPEG (12.2 megapixels)
5,429,114 bytes (5.2 megabytes) Image compression: 85%

The Least Exposed

Camera: Nikon D5000
Lens: AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
Shot at 35 mm
Exposure: Manual exposure, 1/15 sec, f/11, ISO 3200, Compensation: +2
Flash: none
Focus: AF-S, at 5.0m, with a depth of field of about 44m, (from about 2.4m before the focus point to about 42m after)
AF Area Mode: Single Area
Date: December 10, 2011 10:13:38PM (timezone not specified)
(6 days, 2 hours, 29 minutes, 11 seconds ago, assuming image timezone of 7 hours behind GMT)
Time Zone Offset: -07:00
File: 4,288 × 2,848 JPEG (12.2 megapixels)
2,974,638 bytes (2.8 megabytes) Image compression: 92%

When shooting a scene like this try to keep your ISO down lower. You shot from 1100 to 3200. Not sure what the effect on the Compensation +2 does to the image. So you could have shot at f6, reduced your ISO and had an image with less noise. If your camera is on a tripod then keep fstop to about midpoint like f6 or f8. ISO should be 100 or 400 max. And your shutter speeds set to match which will mean longer exposures, but using a tripod it shouldnt matter. I dont know how much better your shot would turn out. You did just fine as is.

Nice shots Christopher, but if you shot at ISO1100 or 3200 your images would have had a lot more noise. Its not the shadows that is the issue.

I dont think those people understood that the only lighting in the room was coming from the bulbs on the tree. Knowing that you can appreciate what a good shot it is.

My ISO settings were set to auto. I did not see too much noise during processing. I like the one you did Christopher.

If the only light was coming from the christmas tree then its an amazing shot and you have captured a lot of detail.

Many people who shoot HDR don't bother with the meter, they'll simply expose ±2EV and hope that the dynamic range of the scene will be within this latitude.

When exposing for HDR, it may be useful to spot meter the shadows uncompensated, record the measurement, then spot meter the hilights and provide exposures throughout this range. For example, if your meter reads 8 seconds at the shadows and 1/400 at the hilights, you could take exposures at 2EV intervals

1/2
1/8
1/30
1/120
1/400

in order to obtain the whole scene without compromise. You may not want to actually use this whole range, but you will know that the entire image is going to be there, which is the whole point of hdr.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back