First HDRs - I am disappointed - please C&C

samal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was planning to try to make and HDR for sometime now, but finally was able to get out to rural area, hunting for something to shoot. My trip was cut short with unexpected rain that effectively ruined my "photography" day off, I came home only with 2 exposures that I cared to bracket for HDR.

I merged 3 exposures braketed +2,0,-2 in photomatix and fiddled with controls not knowing much about it - just by feel. I was trying to get more details in the skies, but failed I think

Nothing special, but I thought that skies and subject presented an opportunity, so tell me what you think:

excavator-vi.jpg

tower-vi.jpg

I just noticed a ghost bird above the tower on the second image :)

here is one where I cloned it out

tower2-vi.jpg

yeah, I was trying to bring the skies out and probably overdid it :)

Were you trying to get them to look radioactive? (Because they aren't really, so I wonder if that's why you're disappointed.)

You've got plenty of noise showing up though. For HDR, shoot at the lowest ISO possible, with the best lens in your kit that will handle the shot. HDR amplifies all of the aberrations in an image: CA, fringing, noise, you name it.

Were you trying to get them to look radioactive? (Because they aren't really, so I wonder if that's why you're disappointed.)

You've got plenty of noise showing up though. For HDR, shoot at the lowest ISO possible, with the best lens in your kit that will handle the shot. HDR amplifies all of the aberrations in an image: CA, fringing, noise, you name it.

actually, no , I was not trying to get them to look unnatural like some HDRs - I just expected more details in skies, and in shadows, but didn't get that - obviously, I missed something important. the tower does look oversaturated to me now as well, I need to try to fix it.

and I did use the lowest ISO - 100, f/11 and was at 35mm - mid range for my 18-50, so it should be as good as my lens can do

Try using more brackets (set your camera to 1/3 stops then do about 6 - 10 different exposures) you may get a little more success then.

I personally like #1 however #2 seems a little over exposed
just maybe a little more fiddling with the tone mapping could help you out. :)

As a very basic, general suggestion, perhaps lowering saturation would increase realism. Also, try not to make your steps too far apart. Maybe try 1/2 or 2/3 apart, and go from there.

I like the second one, though. Remember HDR is HARD!!! People make it look easy, but what you don't see is HUNDREDS of attempts at it until they know how to tweak it perfectly. Its kinda, in a sense like learning composition and photoshop all over again. Cause HDR only looks right on certain images, so you have to pick out the perfect spot. Then, you have to know how to just perfectly bring out the detail in one image while seamlessly blending into the other. I just get dizzy thinking about it.

Best of luck to you, and try not to be too hard on yourself. HAVE FUN!

and I did use the lowest ISO - 100, f/11 and was at 35mm - mid range for my 18-50, so it should be as good as my lens can do

Hmm, well, maybe add some noise reduction before tone-mapping?

As stated, try with a few more different exposures. Heck, try taking shots at +/- 3 and 4 stops and chucking those in there too.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see why anyone would even do an HDR of that second subject... it would appear the sun was on the tower thing so in truth you could get pretty much that exact same shot without doing an HDR. Am I confused?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back