First Hockey game with 7d

Photosformyson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm planning on trying to get some good shots of my hubby playing hockey this weekend. I have read some of the threads on here about adjusting WB, ISO, etc and think I have a pretty good handle shooting in manual. However, I'm looking for recommendations on which lens to use. The game will be indoors, not sure of how great the lighting will be, and I will be rink level. I have a 24-70 f/2.8 and a 75-300 f/4-5.6 (*shudder*). I'm thinking the 24-70, but would I be limited to shots close to my end? Or would f/4-5.6 be enough if I adjust the exposure and ISO to compensate? I am amazed at how little I knew when I shot him using film! And those pictures turned out ok...TIA

Hockey rinks, unless you're in a pro arena, have the absolute worst lighting. I would say take both, but start with your 24-70, if you're finding that you're not getting the range, change them up. Remember, unless you're on his bench, you're also going to be trying to shoot through thick glass, that is usually streaked with rubber.... if you stick to one end or the other, around the corners, you'll get some good action (blue line shot, face off's etc)... but definitely go with your faster lens.

Would it be feasible to rent lenses in your area? 70-200, 100-400... depends on the size of the rink.

But the game lasts for a while, so no harm in bringing both lenses and trying them both out.

If you are using the 24-70, maybe look at getting in closer where there is no glass..near the player's bench, penalty box,...

7d has pretty good high ISO performance as I understand, you could get away with the 75-300. Post pics up here after the game!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back