First images with my new ND filter.........

djrichie28

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.brilliantimages.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
........and yes they are of waterfalls.

These 3 images were taken at a conservation area near Hamilton, ON just above a small town called Dundas. C/C's welcome. Levels and Curves adjusted in PS.

_JUL2320.jpg

Almost hanging over the edge on the ledge beside the falls. f22 - 1/3sec ISO 100

_JUL2278.jpg

f19 - 6sec ISO 100

_JUL2287.jpg

f22 - 6sec ISO 100

wow very nice shots! I especially like the third one, where you not only caught the motion of the waterfall but also the individual streams (for lack of a better word). :biggrin:

wow - amazing!!

I didn't know they had falls like that in Dundas. My wife's sister used to live there, and never mentioned it. :grumpy:

would you be able to post those pics without the ND?
just thought of doing some comparison here :)

I would think so, but you would lose some of the softness if you had overhead sun. The first image (which has overhead sun) was taken at 1/3sec with the smallest aperture, so without the ND filter I would have been forced to correctly expose at around 1/30. 1/30 will still give you motion sense, not quite as soft. If this were on an overcast day, the correct exposure without the filter may allowed the shutter speed to slow down the 3 stops to achieve the same shot.

nice shots! can give me more details on where this is as i live in Auckland and would love to go here ! :)

thanks man

Google 'Spencer Gorge'. It is just north west of Dundas (just up the escarpment) and just off of Hwy 8. You should see signs, the larger falls are called 'Webster's Falls' and there is another section of falls nearby called 'Tew's Falls'. If you're ever in Canada.

Last edited:
:)

just curious cause I tried to shot a waterworks at 10-20" exposure and it does gives the smooth waterflow similar to yours, i am just wondering how 'LARGE' difference does an ND filter makes :D

:)

just curious cause I tried to shot a waterworks at 10-20" exposure and it does gives the smooth waterflow similar to yours, i am just wondering how 'LARGE' difference does an ND filter makes :D

If you shoot a 10-20 second exposure during the day then 1 of two things happened. You either shot with an aperture of like F90 or your photo got washed out.

During the day time an ND filter darkens the image so you can run a longer shutter speed without overexposing the scene. He could not have run a 6 second exposure without the ND to get decent results.

thank you :)

it definitely helps
i heard that they are two types of ND filters right, which is for which?

the neutral density or the graduated neutral density

If you shoot a 10-20 second exposure during the day then 1 of two things happened. You either shot with an aperture of like F90 or your photo got washed out.

During the day time an ND filter darkens the image so you can run a longer shutter speed without overexposing the scene. He could not have run a 6 second exposure without the ND to get decent results.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back