First impression of a shnazzy tittle

LilCujo

the quiet troublemaker!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jello everyone ;)

ok, I was talking with a friend today about how funny it is how people react to a job title.

for 4 1/2 years I worked at a large company managing 2 call centers one in CA and one in Atlanta totally over 60 people. Over seeing projects and analyzing reports and ect. Title Project Analyst. sounds cool huh people were interested when they go hey what do you do..say that and they want to know exactly what that was...

Because of recent lay offs most companies for that position require some level of degree and or a million years of experience so getting what I had isn’t easy. So at this point I am going to take what I can get because the job market isn’t really popping with opportunities. So no I am an Admin assistant and its funny because the reaction I am getting form everyone here. A couple of times I had to teach the higher ups how to use some of the software or applications and they act stunned...

What tipped it off, was a manager wanted to know my background because he wanted to give me some work to help them out with...and what they are looking at is some major things...he asked me a couple of things as far as background and when he asked for education I could see the expression change...its not that I cant do the work..but the title seems to tell them differently...

has anyone else experienced the same thing? It gets frustrating. just want to grab them by the neck and grrrrrr ...
:irked:

people are floored when i tell them i manage a bank. because they know me and they know exactly what a goofball i am... so yeah, i wish there was more credability for those of us who havent made it all the way through school.

md

It's pretty disgusting. I couldn't even get half the job I have now without a degree in my industry. How many companies out there hire CEOs with nothing but a HS diploma and a couple of college business classes? None that I know of. Thank God for self-employment!

well the funny thing is, and I know he means it nicely but its always followed up by.."your so smart"...so I mean in one way I'm like thank you..nice complement. then on the other hand I'm like well what were you expecting, I tie my shoe and I'm a genous....

but I guess there had to have been a reason that impression of lower titles came about you know...one person that branded that title for the rest of us lol...but you know its all good...at least I have a job right...I mean I did enjoy being CEO of the house hold..but not enough cash flow for all I needed..hehe

Just to clarify... I am the CEO of a small forklift company that has 10 people total working here. Not too impressive considering that I gave the title to myself. :oops: I used to go by the title Operations Manager but being a woman in a male dominated industry, I got ignored alot. CEO seems to get their attention. Pretty sad!

photogoddess said:
Just to clarify... I am the CEO of a small forklift company that has 10 people total working here. Not too impressive considering that I gave the title to myself. :oops: I used to go by the title Operations Manager but being a woman in a male dominated industry, I got ignored alot. CEO seems to get their attention. Pretty sad!

It's about time you had a promotion.....start calling yourself the COO (chief operations officer) CEO is so 90's.

mrsid99 said:
photogoddess said:

It's about time you had a promotion.....start calling yourself the COO (chief operations officer) CEO is so 90's.

im thinking Forklift Overlord would be more appropriate

md

MDowdey said:
mrsid99 said:
photogoddess said:

im thinking Forklift Overlord would be more appropriate

md

That's me! :whip:

I'm an associate CET (Certified Engineering Technologist)
But don't let that title fool ya because I'm just a lazy bum, and basically all that title means is that I haven't taken the test to become a CET yet... Although it does get me cheaper car insurance :D

You have got to love the cheaper insurance for being a Certified Engineering Technologist... :)

It might sound impressive, but the certification test was kind of a joke.

Basically they gave me a title and I send them $140 every year (or at least my employer does.

Mike Hodson C.E.T. :salute:

from hearing everyones story I don't feel so alone..although today I was pulled aside and given a task...and I quote.."I think you will enjoy this" so I'm like woohoo cool stuff...shows me an email with some numbers and said I need you to go to a web site..find these and print them... :shock:
so I go..thats it? now in the back of my mind I'm waiting for the part I will really enjoy..

wonder if they want to see a degree in that..."yupp..I got my PM (Printing Masters) Degree"

maybe next time he comes to my desk..I should be like..."shhh SHHHH I'm printing"...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back