First Jewelry Photo Attempt - Mom's Engagement Ring - C&C Please!

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by astrostu, Oct 24, 2009.

1. astrostu

astrostu I shoot for the stars

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    My parents were visiting for 2 days and I finally remembered to ask my mom for a piece of jewelry in order to attempt to photograph it. I used my light box to do so. I had a heck of a time trying to figure out how to "mount" the ring on something because it just lying flat on the cloth was just way too "blah." I ended up using a binder clip under the cloth and a twist-tie to keep the shape of one of the handles of the clip, then slipping the ring over it. Here's the best of the bunch.

I'll be the first to say that I'm not too happy with it. I blame limited time and materials (and a dirty ring) to a certain extent, but I would like to get advice on how to do a better job in the future.

[​IMG]

2. ocular

ocular TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Excuses excuses :p I like how you have the ring wrapped in the table cloth fold but it ends there.

3. Don Kondra

Don Kondra Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Why don't you use a roll of black paper to "mount" the ring and instead of the light box shoot it on a black paper backdrop and use black paper reflectors on each side.

Bounce the lights off the reflectors. Another option would be to mount the ring standing up with some hot glue and clone it out later... basically find an angle where the stone glows :)

Cheers, Don

4. Moonb007

Moonb007 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree with Don, plus if you have a micro lens then use it and get closer to the ring.