First Job!! Really need help....

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by nagoshua, Jul 11, 2007.

1. nagoshua

nagoshua TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Ive just finished college and now im a jobless bum on my gap year, but anyways, needing some cash i thought id ring round some photography places asking for work of any kind and a photographer near me decided to let me come along and take shots with him at a food festival, i got talking to someone at a promotional stand and they were really interested in having images taken for their website and to put on banners so i got down some telephone numbers and an email address... now with no prior experience this raises many questions...
    I think they also need a banner designing and im not sure if theyre thinking that i can do this, where can i find a company that could design a banner? what kind of prices will they be looking at to have this banner made?
    I also dont have a clue what to charge them, they looked like they couldnt spare a lot of cash so i cant scare them away asking too much but i also have to think about me... i have no job atm!! I think they will be wanting quite a lot of images taking for their site and also they will need a banner sorting out which ill gladly help with as it could mean a few more quid for me. Should i take all the images, let her select the ones she likes or offer to do everything she needs for her site for a certain price
    If i sound like a complete noob when it comes to dealing with this stuff its because i am so please bare with me... i think ive been really lucky to get this after 2 days of looking nd i dont wanna blow it, im not really worried about taking the images im quite confident i can do it.. speshly after my sexy new d-lite4 kit comes next week.
    Also the legal issues are slightly confusing... i understand a small amount about copyrights but im not sure what to do about that, should i give sell her the copyrights to the pictures or just give her one use or what? im probly talking balls.. i really dont know what im on about when it comes to the legal side of photography
    Thanks for any help !!!

2. Vmann

Vmann TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'll start by saying as far as having a banner done, look for a reputable sign shop in your area. The kind that make vehicle stickers or graphics. In my neck of the woods we have some FAST SIGNs that can do all this. The legal as far as the legan side right up a contract and don't think it sounds to professional its better to have the ball on your side of the court. Also I wouldn't go signing away all rights to them unless they really want to pay for them. I would just sell them usage if they don't have the money for the rest. You can change things if need be. As far as compensation I don't know really where your located as far as what to charge. But don't sell yourself short... your time is worth money think about what you would like to make per hour of work/including editing and come up with a lump sum. Also if you do charge by the hour it helps get there stuff togother as far as not having you quate a price and then stand around all day while they try to find this or do that. Orginzation and timelyness will go farther to get the end result then all the equipment in the world... usually.

Just my 2

3. nagoshua

nagoshua TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    well i think their bussiness is quite far away but i can arrange for them to post the sweets upto my place, i think it will take me around 2 or 3 days to complete it, im gonna charge them £95 a day for a set amount of images at the end and extra charges for anything above that. i plan to take the images then post them all on the internet, they can then select all of the images they like and i can then do all of the post processing and send off high quality versions on DVD. Is this a good way of going about it?

4. Vmann

Vmann TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    My only thing about saying heres a set amount per day goes back to my statement of having them drag there feet. EX. (95 a day equals 10 photos lets just say. Know you have them arrive at 10 and want to stay 10 hours to get the shots. Its one thing if they/you are really making them worth the time but it can open the door for lets redo this one or where done with take one of item one but item two needs to be prepped that will take a hour. To cut to the chase just make sure they don't drag there feet. If your shooting item one make sure when your getting close to the end that they need item 2 ready to go.

Depending on how many photos or hours you have arranged 95 sounds kinda low unless your only taking 5 items a day or you aloted only 4 hours per day something like that. But to each his own. For a full 8 hours that number would need to double.

Just my two cents. I just don't like feeling like they can misuse the time aloted

5. nagoshua

nagoshua TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    All contact to the bussiness will be made through phone and email, they are sending the products up to me so i dont have to worry about not making use of the time because once they have mailed their products to me i can work at my own steam. They own a liquorice company so thy have a lot of small products they need photographing plus images they need for their banners so im think there will be 40 or 50 finished images. Ill try and charge £130 a day then and see what they think to that...