First Kingfisher...but crappy pic :)

JOAT

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
This is the first time i've seen a Kingfisher in person, he was nicely purched on a bridge and I was able to get a shot from a far distance but he was very skittish and only got about 4 pics. Anytime i got closer he flew away. I waited for him to come back but he didn't return. These are not the best pics as they are heavily cropped, but i guess they are better than nothing.

Hopefully I'll find him again :angel:

kingfisher1.jpg

kingfisher2.jpg

They are still better than my "best" bird photos! So there.
Our kingfishers here are blue! Well, ok, it looks blue enough in the first... maybe our kingfishers do look the same, after all ;).
I have NEVER seen any in person. Let alone photographed it...

he..he.. thanx lafoto I guess it's not bad for the first time.

Ray: I found this little guy at Toogood Pond in Markham, it was my first time seeing one there. I've seen a GBH there twice last summer and spotted 2 redtail hawks but they were too far to take pics of that same day. I also saw something that looked like a kestrel but i'm not 100% positive.

I'm planning to go back to see if I could find the Kingfisher. I'm not sure if you've been there before but there is a pathway that leads to an open area with a bridge on the NW side of the park.

I don't think they are bad shots.

I have spent the last month trying to get a good bird shot and they are a pain.

Practice makes perfect. Good job!

At least you know he's out there, now! ;) I don't think these are that terrible, considering the cropping you mentioned. You caught a very cute angle in the first one, especially. Those colors are beautiful. :thumbup:

Good work. Where in Markham is the park? Never heard of it. My head office is in Markham so maybe a good place to shoot after work.

Eric

I guess I expect better from myself, in fact i know i could do better if he would have just stayed still longer :)

The pic is soft and the detail is lost probably due to camera shake in my excitement :) and the first pic is overexposed in the white areas.

Airic: I may head up ther wednesday after work, it's supposed to be nice that day.

Toogood Pond is located on Carlton and Mainstreet Unionville. Northeast corner off Carlton road, just left of the Fred Varley Art Gallery.

I must warn you though, at this tome getting birds other than the geese and mallards are scarce. In the summer theres a GBH that hangs out there, some turtles and i've spoted a hawk twice recently.

If you follow the path there is an area where it parts...one goes towards a bridge leading you back to the main entrance, the other brings you to moreof an open area with 2 bridges, that's where i spotted the Kingfisher and the Redtail. It's not a huge place but if your timing is right you may see something :)

Hey Joat, thanks. I plan to take the gear on Wednesday as I need to test the lens. If I get a chance I will hit the park int he afternoon but I never know where I will end up as I'm on call. I hope the weather is good. If I go I will look for the guy with the big Canon lens :)

Eric

Most reactions

New Topics

Back