First Lens...What Did You All Get?

Glorsclaws

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Im about to upgrade my compact to a Canon 5D and will getting body only. Im a total newbie to everything so not sure where to start with buying my first lens.
So, what did you guys get & why...also would you suggest a prime for a first lens?
Right now I shoot hands & macro and would like to get into portraiture ...can you tell I havent a clue where to start!

Prime lenses are great.

They are usually better (optically) than all but the best zoom lenses...and primes are less expensive. Also, they are usually faster (wider max. aperture) which is probably the best thing about them.

A good thing about prime lenses, is that they can force you to move around more, which helps you to think about your composition and perspective...rather than just standing in one spot and zooming your lens.

(on full frame), 50mm is "normal" view so that might be a good first lens. The 50mm F1.8 is so cheap that no EOS owner should be without it. The 50mm F1.4 is a little better but much more expensive.

For portraits, a lot of photographers like a lens that is twice normal. So 100mm would be something to look at. Canon has a 100mm F2.8 macro lens that I've heard is a also a good portrait lens. That might be a good option for you.

On the other hand, zooms can be convinient...which may be better for a first lens. The companion lens for the 5D is the 24-105 F4 L...supossedly a very good lens. (all 'L' lenses are pretty good).

Another talked about 'everyday' lens is the 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS. It's a nice focal range and IS (image stabilization) can help you get shaper shots at lower shutter speeds while shooting hand held.

I got the 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS with my 20d. I think it will be a good all around lens to hold me over until I can save up some money to buy another. So far it's worked out great for me. As for comparinsons I'm a newb when it comes to SLR's so I can't really help you there.

Big Mike said:
Prime lenses are great.

They are usually better (optically) than all but the best zoom lenses...and primes are less expensive. Also, they are usually faster (wider max. aperture) which is probably the best thing about them.

A good thing about prime lenses, is that they can force you to move around more, which helps you to think about your composition and perspective...rather than just standing in one spot and zooming your lens.

(on full frame), 50mm is "normal" view so that might be a good first lens. The 50mm F1.8 is so cheap that no EOS owner should be without it. The 50mm F1.4 is a little better but much more expensive.

For portraits, a lot of photographers like a lens that is twice normal. So 100mm would be something to look at. Canon has a 100mm F2.8 macro lens that I've heard is a also a good portrait lens. That might be a good option for you.

On the other hand, zooms can be convinient...which may be better for a first lens. The companion lens for the 5D is the 24-105 F4 L...supossedly a very good lens. (all 'L' lenses are pretty good).

Another talked about 'everyday' lens is the 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS. It's a nice focal range and IS (image stabilization) can help you get shaper shots at lower shutter speeds while shooting hand held.

Good advice here Mike, for portraits primes are the way to go, as suggested the 50mm 1.4 and 85mm 1.8 are 2 great primes for the price...sharp and wonderful bokeh. The 100mm macro is also good. Personally if i could do it again, since i too will be getting into portrait / wedding photography I would get the 50mm 1.4 and 85mm which i have, the 35mm F2 is not too shabby either. For a zoom lens the canon 70-200mmf4 is a steal, very sharp and excellent colour, i owned this one as well but recently sold it to help pay for a 100-400mm as i wanted more range.

Another decent lens is the Tamron 28-75mm, good price, sharp and good mid range zoom.

Oh and to answer your question, my first lens was the 18-55mm kit lens which is o.k for the price, it's cheap and plastic, but unlike others, mine produces decent results...however i'm looking to replace it. It's a good lens to learn on, but you will yearn for more. I then got a Sigma 70-300mm APO Macro DG for longer range, it's probablt one of the better "consumer lenses out there, a little soft at 300mm but good from 70-250mm IMO. Like i mentioned, I wanted more reach so ended up getting the 100-400mm f4.5L Love the IS, Love the picture quality and colour...This will keep me satisfied for a long time.

good luck!

Most reactions

Back