first lens

stumpjumper21

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i am saving for a d40, and when i get it, i either want to get a cheap used fisheye(my local store) or a 70-300 zoom. which would you choose for action sports (snowboard/skateboard/bmx)?

A great fisheye, if you can find one used, would be the Tokina 10-17.

New they run around 600 Canadian.

i would recommended the 10.5mm nikon fish eye over the tokina, but i'm not completely sure if it will autofocus on the d40

I don't quite understand the point of a fisheye lens, other than for a few wide-angle novelty shots. I think you'll use the 70-300 more often.

i am saving for a d40, ... which would you choose for action sports (snowboard/skateboard/bmx)?

Of the 2 choices you gave, the 70-300 for sure. Don't know your budget or how much zoom you need, but you may want to look at the possibility of a faster (larger aperture) 200mm or 150mm for the sports if you don't need the reach of a 300.

I don't quite understand the point of a fisheye lens, other than for a few wide-angle novelty shots. I think you'll use the 70-300 more often.

well if he said he would be taking pictures of skating and bmx, a fisheye would be more useful imo. seeing as you're generally gonna be pretty close to the subject you're taking pictures of, or at least in my experience you are

First I would recommend looking for a used d70 instead of a d40, the price is about the same, and your autofocus lens selection will be much greater.

For shooting skateboarding you want a fast/wide lens, a 20mm f2.8 prime would do nicely.

Most reactions

Back