First maternity - inspired by Shuttered Eye - maybe not work safe?x

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by jemmy, Aug 26, 2006.

1. jemmy

jemmy TPF Noob!

[​IMG] #1

#2..

[​IMG]

#3.. probably too high key or blown but i still like it?

[​IMG]

#4..

[​IMG]

#5...This was my 1st attempt at indoor studio type portraiture, using only a basic lamp... would have been better with more lights but still wanting feedback on whether the shadows are 'moody' or 'offensive'??? x Might photoshop the elastic print across belly?? Very grainy as I wanted to hand hold the camera and therefore had to UP the iso:blushing:

[​IMG]

#6..

[​IMG]

#7...Not sure if this is too 'gold' ... I loved it for it's warmth but technically how is it??

[​IMG]

My beautiful friend Marina has 6 weeks to go and I offered to capture this experience for her - I am a sucker for pregnant bellies. She has her Bachelor in Photography so I am a bit nervous as to what she will think but anyway?. I had my first shot at 'studio' type work which was fun and I was really happy with the results - though technically I am relying on you guys for your honest feedback. I tried to use the tripod at first but hated the lack of 'control' i had! Ended up settling on a high iso so that I could get in and move around! Much happier this way despite the grain - kinda think it adds to the shots?
    Thanks so much for looking. Please take the time to comment - I am quite nervous at posting these and really appreciate your feedback x I am the 1st to admit i am still learning xx jemma

2. Arch

Arch Damn You! Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Good stuff jemmy, i think you've done quite well..... the highlights are a little to bright for me in a few of them..... but i like the positions and expressions.... my fav tho is number 5... composition is perfect :thumbup:

3. theoryblue

theoryblue TPF Noob!

Jemmy - I absolutely love maternity photos. You did a very nice job here. From a technical aspect I think you hit the nail on the head so to speak with the exception of some of the brightness in 1,2, and 3. I think 5,6, and 7 are awesome. I like the choice of composition and the golden color of 7 adds a sense of elegance in my opinion but if there is a next time have her lose the chain. Shoot more Jemmy!

4. AprilRamone

AprilRamone TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I love the artistic close up shots with her. But, my only nitpick is that I hate how she is cupping her own breasts the way that she is. I would try to figure out another way to cover them up (maybe with some gauzy type of material?) because it looks unnatural and weird to me to have her cupping her own breasts like that just so they won't be showing.

5. Holly

Holly TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You did a great job with these !!! I Agree with April about how she is covering her breasts.. You can use some great sheer looking material and wrap it a few times to give it a more warm relaxing feel.. If that makes sense.. Wonderful job with doing indoor pictures!

6. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Good job, you have a great variety of styles here.

7. Also a fan of number 5.

Number 4 and 6 don't work that well for me. No. 4 doesn't really say "pregnant" to me, but within the context of the other pictures that doesn't really matter. If you frame these for her as an assembly you'll find that the image offers a nice touch. As for number 6, can you dodge the area around her belly and legs, making them a little lighter?

Good stuff though!

8. jemmy

jemmy TPF Noob!

Thanks for your comments - keep em coming...Didn't really want to add fabric as I thought it may detract from the intimacy - I know what you mean about the 'gauze' but wasn't the look I was after. Not sure what other ways she could cover herself - in fact she was all for 'showing them' but I didn't think I should post lol.
    With the 1st 3 I did muck around a bit too much with the curves so might go back and 'settle' them down the more I look at them.
    Thanks again for your comments and Shuttered Eye for your amazing inspiration.....oh to be that good!!xxx

9. elsaspet

elsaspet TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I like them. I think what might be strange about the breast cupping, is it's not so much cupping as flattening.
    Maybe the farthest arm laying lighting across, and the closer arm up? I dunno. :) I'm tooo scared to do maternity. LOL

10. AprilRamone

AprilRamone TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    lol, well honestly, I would have preferred her to just show them as it would have made for a more natural looking "celebration" of a woman's body type of portrait.
    Not sure if it would work, and it may even depend on the size of the woman's breasts, but what about only using one arm to gently lay across the chest and therefore cover one breast with the crook of the elbow and have the hand covering only one?
    After looking at them again, it may just be the way she was cupping them. Looks more like grabbing at them (i know that's probably not was she was trying to do!)
    Sorry, I'm having a hard time explaining specifically what it is I don't like about it!

11. Alison

Alison Swiss Army Friend Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I'm with April on this one, I think having her breasts shown would look more natural. I do like the golden coloring in the last one as well. If she's willing I'd have her do some more with out covering herself or with some of the suggestions about arm/hand placement given here. She's absolutely radiant and you captured her beauty well!

12. jemmy

jemmy TPF Noob!

Thanks for the comments everyone. I am getting what you mean by her 'grabbing' her breasts - tried a couple of different techniques? and like I said, I did plenty of no hands shots... though I wasn't sure if breasts could be posted on this forum or not???? can they????? xx Off down the coast now to take some couple shots of my brother & his girlfriend on the beach -( great overcast sky today yippeeee!), then portraits of cousins girls tomorrow, nephew portraits on wednesday then 1yr old portraits on Sunday....... I am LOVING word of mouth referrals x