First Micro 4/3 Cam Revealed - the Panasonic DMC-G1

No optical viewfinder... I am sorry, it's disqualified.

No optical viewfinder... I am sorry, it's disqualified.
Disqualified from what? I'm pretty sure an EVF is necessary for a compact camera. And is it really that big of a deal? You get the same information, and probably a much brighter viewfinder than you would in a low budget, compact camera.

Yeah, it will surely find it's owners. But after a year with ultrazoom p&s I just hate EVF. I know this one is much, much more advanced, but it's still EVF. I like the general concept of the camera, just think the EVF is the most controversial thing about it.

I think I may just have started a multi-page discussion about between the EVF lovers and haters.

Last edited:
I have high hopes for this system, but this initial offering is a little underwhelming...

Yup, I wanna get version two or three of this system! Trouble is, if no one buys this one will there even be a version two?

I really want some reasonably priced decent quality compact / rangefinder camera, and I hope this paves the way for it. Not everybody can afford a Leica, and Sigma's attempts still need improvement.

I'd previously posted a topic regarding my concerns about such a small DSLR. However, a small DSLR is starting to sound reallll nice.

I checked it out again, Looks as big as a Canon G9 + a conversion lense adapter + Extra Grip.
Plus it has large sensor & Tilt Screen, two things that scores over the G9 and i always have the conversion lense adapter on the G9 so am used too the size.
If they launch it here, i'm game for swapping the G9 for that camera.

Here's what I am hoping for: a true digital Rangefinder based on the micro 4/3rds System:

Of course, I'd prefer a Leica over a Panasonic...

With 21mm wide angle:

2863058677_2a09aaae40_o.jpg

Backside. Note optional External Viewfinder on hotshoe

2863058793_6486e96d72_o.jpg

With an actual zoom lens!! :

2863891922_be51700249_o.jpg

Um....no viewfinder? No thanks.

I suppose the idea of point & shoot with an interchangeable lens is neat, but I think it's a niche market at best. What serious photographer uses a P&S anyway?

Disqualified from what? I'm pretty sure an EVF is necessary for a compact camera. And is it really that big of a deal? You get the same information, and probably a much brighter viewfinder than you would in a low budget, compact camera.
Look at a digital representation of an image is NOT the same as looking through a viewfinder. No screen can match all the colours seen in nature and they're almost always hopeless for setting critical focus.

Here's what I am hoping for: a true digital Rangefinder based on the micro 4/3rds System:
Of course, I'd prefer a Leica over a Panasonic...
With 21mm wide angle:
Backside. Note optional External Viewfinder on hotshoe
With an actual zoom lens!! :

The design looks remarkably similar too the Leica D-lux 4

The design looks remarkably similar too the Leica D-lux 4
That would be a little too small for my taste. Also, the D-Lux has a tiny sensor, and no interchangable lenses... but something the size of a G9 or a little bigger, with a real sensor and lenses that are optimized for it? Where does the line form?? Good enough for my street photography, that I would not print larger than 8x10...

Iron, did you make those renders?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back