First MILC for Hobby Photog. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Mirrorless Cameras' started by John27, Nov 21, 2016.

1. John27

John27 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm looking to be reasonably cheap. Under $1,000 would be great. I'm just looking for something light to have as a third camera.

I currently shoot with a 7D MK II with a handful of lenses, including the 24-105 f/4L (which I just got!). So I'm not looking for something to replace that of course; but something to augment it.

I want something light for carrying around as a fun second shooter (I don't bring both DSLRs anywhere). And maybe some B Roll for video.

I'm leaning towards the Sony a6000. The Panasonic Lumix G7 is also attractive. But Canon also has a MILC Bundle that includes an adapter that works with EOS lenses for around the same price; which is tempting too.

Anyone have any thoughts? It's kind of overwhelming. There's a lot of them out there and not a lot of definitive info on what actually makes one better than the other.

2. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I just pre-ordered the A6500 so I'm sold on this kind of camera.

3. John27

John27 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks! I'm not looking at the a6500 or that 'class'. I'm looking for a second shooter to toss in my bag. That's why I was looking at the a6000; but also wondering about the EOS M. Do you have any experience with either model?

• Like Like x 1
  4. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've shot for several years with an Olympus M4/3 system using Olympus and Panasonic lenses which I love.
    But I need to simplify my life so I bought a second Sony body and will be selling my m4/3 kit in a month or so.

For light, inexpensive hobby shooting an m4/3 is a dream.

5. PropilotBW

PropilotBW Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree that Olympus and Micro 4/3 has a lot going for it. It's a lot of fun to shoot.

Please let me know when you sell your M4/3 gear. I've been looking for some new glass!

6. sashbar

sashbar Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ricoh GR. You can toss it in any bag or just carry it in your pocket. It has a super sharp lense, APS-C sensor, excellent IQ on par with a crop DSLR, good colour rendition and all the controls of a DSLR and then some. Very sturdy magnesium alloy body, I dropped it more than once on the concrete floor, not even a scratch. It is an unassuming, discrete looking camera, but make no mistake, it is a quality one. Many pro reporters working for major agencies carry it as a back up. I love mine.

7. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
  8. beagle100

beagle100 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I got that exact "M" adapter for $29 (ebay) and there are plenty of knock-offs
    And there are plenty of inexpensive M mirrorless models M1, M2, M3, M10, etc. on ebay
    But most will say hold out for the newest Canon M5 which is close to DSLR in features and AF speed
    www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless