First Model Photo Shoot - CC Welcome

The 2nd one in #16 looks pretty good. I don't think I would pull the sweater down over her shoulder and thus expose the strap but that could be just me. At some point as you learn things mentioned here you might think about adding fill flash. Flash would also help separate her from the background. But them main purpose would be to light the face better.

The 2nd one in #16 looks pretty good. I don't think I would pull the sweater down over her shoulder and thus expose the strap but that could be just me. At some point as you learn things mentioned here you might think about adding fill flash. Flash would also help separate her from the background. But them main purpose would be to light the face better.

I was more worried about the cropped hands to be honest. With the sweater off the shoulder, it'd be a cool shot if you hid the strap, and then angled that shoulder towards the camera, instead of having the shoulders square with the camera.

Flash is definitely on my list of "To Gets" I just don't have to means to purchase one at this time. I just used what I was dealt and went with it :)

I think you're taking very good starting photographs, they just end up feeling over-processed in most of these. This woman is gorgeous and has such wonderful skin tones to begin with, plus you've got her in some beautiful scenery that really pops with color. My 2 cents would be to let the beauty of the model and the setting speak for itself. Work a little bit on the above technical points, but mostly let your photo-taking skill shine without burying it in poor post-processing.

I think you're taking very good starting photographs, they just end up feeling over-processed in most of these. This woman is gorgeous and has such wonderful skin tones to begin with, plus you've got her in some beautiful scenery that really pops with color. My 2 cents would be to let the beauty of the model and the setting speak for itself. Work a little bit on the above technical points, but mostly let your photo-taking skill shine without burying it in poor post-processing.

I completely agree with you. I have learned just so much these past few days. Looking back I already dislike some of them and re-edited (un-edited) them. I am only learning and I appreciate everyones advice! It will only help me in the future!!

I think where you're starting from is phenomenally better than most. The nit-pick critiques above should tell you that. If the photo is so good that the thing that stands out is the little stuff, then that should speak volumes about your shooting. With the help of the portrait gurus on this site, you'll continue to improve in leaps and bounds. Just try not to let the heavy post-processing impede the audiences ability to see what a great photo you've taken.

Amen. Thank you so much for that!! I am a perfectionist so I can stare at a photo for hours, and hearing the little things is what needs work, is a blessing in disguise. I strive to do my best and good critique are always nice :)

Thanks again everyone, I appreciate everyones thoughts and take everything into consideration.

I also know now that photoshop isn't to make the pictures, but to adjust and enhance them. Thats the designer in me that wants to change everything...

You're all over the spectrum with white balance and saturation. NONE of these look natural to me.

IMO I think you should try to make them appear normal, and all the same normal.

I think you might be right that you're looking at your photos so long and working on the processing so long that it's getting overdone. Sometimes the more I mess with something the worse it gets and I have to make myself put it away and come back later - then sometimes I'll come back to it and see right away what needs to be corrected.

I'd work on making sure the camera's focused where it needs to be every time and getting a proper exposure each time, then adjust and enhance as needed from there. You seem to be framing and composing nicely, I'd just watch that you're not framing a little bit high so you don't crop finger tips. Seems like you have an eye for it, just need to keep working on the technical aspects (just don't overwork the technical part!).

I think you might be right that you're looking at your photos so long and working on the processing so long that it's getting overdone. Sometimes the more I mess with something the worse it gets and I have to make myself put it away and come back later - then sometimes I'll come back to it and see right away what needs to be corrected.

I'd work on making sure the camera's focused where it needs to be every time and getting a proper exposure each time, then adjust and enhance as needed from there. You seem to be framing and composing nicely, I'd just watch that you're not framing a little bit high so you don't crop finger tips. Seems like you have an eye for it, just need to keep working on the technical aspects (just don't overwork the technical part!).

Yeah that is exactly what I do too. I get so excited to finish all my photos I want to edit them all in one sitting. I've learned I have to do 3 or 4 at a time then come back and do more.

This was the first time I was actually pleased with the RAW results from my camera (doing portraits), I did a lot of research on settings and what not for "model" photography. I had it in single focus mode but found my camera focusing elsewhere sometimes so had to change it, I think that is where the focus problem lies. I need to learn more about that.

Thanks!!! :)

Another recommendation would be to do batch edits with something like LR for your basic global edits like sharpening, contrast, white balance, etc, then put them away and come back to them a few at a time for any individual edits, etc. Then you have the whole series looking consistent (as Designer mentioned) but can do further work with fresh eyes as you feel. LR makes this incredibly easy.

I love LightRoom, I use that for my adjustments. I just bought it back in the summer so still learning what all it can do. Thats a good idea to do the general adjustments first then come back. Makes it easier on the eyes!

QUESTION:

Should I start charging people a small fee? Since this shoot I've had several people want me to photograph them?

Most reactions

Back