first moon pics.

Side by side you can clearly see the difference in sharpness.

Maybe, but it looks like it was heavily sharpened in Photoshop/Gimp and maybe had the contrast bumped up... maybe even some burning of shadows, etc.

It could be (a little bit anyway) your 75-300 lens limitations too, it's not a horrible lens but it's also not renowned for its high quality.

Last edited:
Side by side you can clearly see the difference in sharpness.

Maybe, but it looks like it was heavily sharpened in Photoshop/Gimp and maybe had the contrast bumped up... maybe even some burning of shadows, etc.

It could be (a little bit anyway) your 75-300 lens limitations too, it's not a horrible lens but it's also not renowned for its high quality.

It's mostly the Lens but not so much the quality of the lens itself but the Zoom and the mp of my camera because the end result after crop has a small resolution and not much data to play with for sharpening

"Me too".
Canon 55-250IS, f5.6, 1/250, ISO100. On tripod, but windy. I adjusted contrast and sharpness.
This evening I'll try again with f/8 or so. I also tried with an old Canon 75-300 and a Beroflex 135/2.8 + 2x converter, but results were a little less defined.

Since it seems this is a good comparison of moon shots, these are two different ones that I took with different lenses.

First one is with the 300mm f/4 L IS

5010703643_5d6c7ee4ee_b.jpg

4481365104_267568edc7_b.jpg

I know they're not great comparisons, after all they were taken about 6 months apart with different cameras, but it is still interesting to see what can be done with only 300mm to work with.

Hopefully I can find a 1.4 extender in the near future to try at 420mm

Second one with the 70-300mm DO IS lens.

Well apparently last night was a more interesting moon then the harvest moon the other night. My girlfriend called me as she was headin home and said the moon was blood red and get the camera. It was behind the clouds at the house here so she came and picked me up and we went down the road. Here are some pics. She said that it wasnt as red when we took the pics compared to when she called me.

_MG_4156cropped.jpg

I think I will delete my moon pics from my computer now. You all put mine to shame, lol.

Well apparently last night was a more interesting moon then the harvest moon the other night. My girlfriend called me as she was headin home and said the moon was blood red and get the camera. It was behind the clouds at the house here so she came and picked me up and we went down the road. Here are some pics. She said that it wasnt as red when we took the pics compared to when she called me.

when I was kid, here in Italy we all watched a japanese robot TV cartoon called "Goldrake". In the cartoon, every time the moon was read, the enemies from Vega were ready to attack the Earth... so even now, when I (and the people of my age) see the red moon, automatically tell "Vega is going to attack" :lol:. 30 years passed without much results, except for what regards number of hairs on head.

Yep my first nightime moon was Oct. last year Harvest Moon.
And what I have read is people woefully underestimate just how bright the moon is.

After 2am trying first attempts handheld Moon shots.
D90-Nikon 80-200 f2.8 AF-D with Tamron 1.4x. gave 280mm Iso 200 f5 1/800th.

October "Harvest Moon" 2 of 3 (Partial Crop) by orb9220, on Flickr

October "Harvest Moon" 3 of 3 (Full Crop) by orb9220, on Flickr

But always also look for a daytime moon which allows balanced exposure
for inclusion of landscapes and objects.

Moon over Belfry 2 by orb9220, on Flickr

Yep my first nightime moon was Oct. last year Harvest Moon.
And what I have read is people woefully underestimate just how bright the moon is.

After 2am trying first attempts handheld Moon shots.
D90-Nikon 80-200 f2.8 AF-D with Tamron 1.4x. gave 280mm Iso 200 f5 1/800th.

October "Harvest Moon" 2 of 3 (Partial Crop) by orb9220, on Flickr

October "Harvest Moon" 3 of 3 (Full Crop) by orb9220, on Flickr

But always also look for a daytime moon which allows balanced exposure
for inclusion of landscapes and objects.

Moon over Belfry 2 by orb9220, on Flickr

I like the third one. It is an interesting shot. :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back