First night bmx shoot!

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by pbrr1der, May 10, 2010.

1. pbrr1der

pbrr1der TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I just got my camera like 2 days ago, so this is my first attempt at night action photos. Most of these were taken within the 1600-3200 iso range, really had no choice, and the flash on the body of my d5000. Please cc!

1. This was an experiment with the rear curtain flash. Cool IMO
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for all the pics, I got some more I'd like to post up so if you wanna see more check out my flickr!

2. I am Ivar

I am Ivar TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Interesting shots! One thing you might want to give a try is to let the ambient light blend in a bit more, try using slower shutter speeds with higher apertures (tripod recommended ;-)) and then flash to freeze the motion.

And try getting more out the compositions, you've got a skilled rider so make sure to get the most out of the shots. Pay attention to everything in the shot (including lights/shadows/backgrounds) and see how you can make them help you create a wicked image!

If you're really interested in doing more (nighttime) action stuff, you might want to look into getting some off camera flashes :)

Good luck!

3. pbrr1der

pbrr1der TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanx, yea a faster lens and an off camera flash would have helped out alot. When I slowed down the shutter speed a little bit, he would get blurry, even with the flash so I was having to max the shutter out at 1/200 which is as fast as it could go with a flash to get a decent sharp image. Besides the first pic of course.

4. shmne

shmne No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Good experience so far, you're getting him at the pinnacle of action so you clearly have your timing down. I'd suggest going out again and renting a flash, this would let you really light things up and get a better shot. Usually it is pretty cheap, I go through BorrowLenses.com - Camera Rental and Canon/Nikon/Sony Lens Rental because of Scott Bourne :p

5. pbrr1der

pbrr1der TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanx, i took about 125 shots and had about 80 that turned out pretty good. I think a better flash really would make the shots look tons better. But that's a whole new beast to learn. I'll give it a try soon. I think we r going to try it again during the day!

6. mostly sunny

mostly sunny TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    my 5 year old wants to BMX race.. I have a friend that will help us when he gets off the training wheels..

= )