First "Official" wedding, shot on my own!

Ok one more! Here's the color version of the serious portrait from above, not sure which one I like more! What do you think peeps?

View attachment 77087

I prefer the timeless look of the B&W version of this shot. The beading on the dress, and the leaves of the trees in B&W kind of "mimic" one another...when seen in B&W. In color, the leaves are more of a color distraction than they are in monochrome. In B&W this shot seems more "symbolic", but in color it seems more "representational".

Wow!!! Great set!!!
what was the lighting like, what type of modifiers did u use?

Ok one more! Here's the color version of the serious portrait from above, not sure which one I like more! What do you think peeps?

View attachment 77087

I prefer the timeless look of the B&W version of this shot. The beading on the dress, and the leaves of the trees in B&W kind of "mimic" one another...when seen in B&W. In color, the leaves are more of a color distraction than they are in monochrome. In B&W this shot seems more "symbolic", but in color it seems more "representational".

Ya, I just feel like some people use b&w as an "easy way out" if their WB or exposure is wayy off and they don't want to spend the time "fixing it" so I try to have a color version of every b&w I dom the hubby agrees with you though, says her face just isn't the same in color lol.

Wow!!! Great set!!!

Really just natural light. It was harsh sunlight at 2pm during the funny shoulder and portrait pics and I just happen to find a huge brick wall that blocked the sun. When needed I used a reflector in about 3 poses and my external flash with a softbox attached.

Amber, these are absolutely fantastic.

the shoe shot is fantastic!
as are the "informal" formals.
not digging the cropped heads in the last two, and i think the color version looks much better than the B&W.
did you do any traditional formals?

not digging the cropped heads in the last two, and i think the color version looks much better than the B&W.

Thanks! The last two images the his head is not cropped but it felt like there was just too much space for it to have that close up intimate feel, and I wanted the focus oj the bride's face, ill upload the original crop a little later and you can tell me which you think is better.
Yes I did do formal portraits of the bridal party but they're so-so, the sun was blaring down and finding enough even shade to fit a wedding party of 16 is tough lol. We also took family formals at the church.

Wow!!! Great set!!!

Really just natural light. It was harsh sunlight at 2pm during the funny shoulder and portrait pics and I just happen to find a huge brick wall that blocked the sun. When needed I used a reflector in about 3 poses and my external flash with a softbox attached.

Just curiest what type of softbox do u use and is it on camera or off?

Thanks! The last two images the his head is not cropped but it felt like there was just too much space for it to have that close up intimate feel, and I wanted the focus oj the bride's face, ill upload the original crop a little later and you can tell me which you think is better.
Yes I did do formal portraits of the bridal party but they're so-so, the sun was blaring down and finding enough even shade to fit a wedding party of 16 is tough lol. We also took family formals at the church.

I guess i can see what you were going for with the framing...and it kinda works with the shot of the brides back...
but the second one with the brides face...there is maybe 2-3 inches chopped off his head, and i just cant see pulling back a bit to include the rest of his head detracting much from the intimacy of the photo. As is, it just looks like a nice shot that you missed good framing on.

I think you did a great job.

Most reactions

Back