First Photo Here - Any advice is appreciated!

spake01

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
90% of my photography is related to tarantulas, scorpions, and other bugs. Over the past year, I've tried different setups to allow for the best picture, but things still don't always turn out like I wish.

The spider below is actually very striking in person, yet, to me, looks very "blah" in the picture. Too much red? Just the angle?

homoeomma007Small.jpg

I think the blah results from the angle, and the flash. I think you likely used the onboard flash? They tend to wash everything... especially when doing closeups. Try using another light source (eg. window, lamp, etc.) that is on a different angle than the camera.

About the angle. This is the angle I would expect to view a spider in a terrarium (spelled right?) at, try something like a head on if you can... it would be much more intimidating.

Good luck and happy shooting!

I agree about the lighting and the angle. I also think this picture would be better with a less distracting background. Either a closeup where the background is blurred (like the head on angle mentioned) or maybe on the sand or another contrasting surface.

Is this any better? The color still seems off.

I've been wanting to shoot more and more outside using natural light and I've tried setting up a stage to shoot with natural light bulbs, but it never seems to be enough light.

homoeomma009Small.jpg

yes, the angle is much better. Good job. He (or is it a she?) is coming right at you! That makes the spider AND your picture come alive. The viewer gets more involved. The color indeed is still off.

pascal

I like the 2nd shot much better. I think the color looks weird just cuz the color of the spider is so close to the background. I adjusted the Levels to add contrast and it didn't seem to improve it much. Maybe paint the spider a green. ;)

Hahaha I would think the green spraypaint suggestion is still valid.

Puscas said:
Maybe it's not a spider, maybe it's a chameleon...:mrgreen:

pascal

First off - THANK YOU for the comments. I appreciate ANY help that I can get.

rmh159 said:
I think the color looks weird just cuz the color of the spider is so close to the background.

I've been struggling with background colors, too.

Here's one thing I tried (on white paper).
homoeomma018Small2.jpg

And another (on cork bark and moss).
P1060806Small.jpg

awesome subject. Have you tried any shots without using the flash? If lighting is a problem get a desk lamp or two and light that sucker up, just remember to adjust your white balance for tungsten light (incandecent). The popup flash does a really good job of ruining colors in a photo.

Also if you have a manual mode for you camera, or even just an aperture priority (Ap) make it the smallest number you can (most open aperture) so you let in a lot of light. Use a tripod and the self timer (if you have it) if you need to. Even using the self timer handheld can make a difference because you are no longer pressing on the camera to take the picture, you are just holding it still. And if the shot comes out a little dark, some levels adjustment in Photoshop or The GIMP should bring things up nice and bold.

EDIT: I PMed you an edit of your shot.

I tried a few outside, with just sunlight, but maybe it's the wrong time of day. Either way overexposed (and when I set the exposure down, it's too dark) or it's just blurry.

These show the colors a little bit better, although I don't think I'm fond of the background.

homoeomma011Small.jpg

homoeomma008Small.jpg

Ehm...IMHO, the last two have the worst possible background. It's the same color as the spiders'.

pascal

... interesting choice of pets...
Yeah I've been wondering if you pick this sucker up with your hands to move to these different locations?? <shudders>

... the last two have the worst possible background...
I'd agree... you might be able to get a better shot by using a more creative background. Maybe take a pic with it crawling out of a shoe or something.

mysteryscribe said:
interesting choice of pets...
My excuse is that I'm a science teacher (although my husband has stopped buying that excuse!). :)

I currently keep about 100 tarantulas (it fluctuates as I trade here and there) along with a handful of scorpions and centipedes.

Yeah I've been wondering if you pick this sucker up with your hands to move to these different locations?? <shudders
Nah, I mainly just small cups, paintbrushes, etc. to move them along.

I'd agree... you might be able to get a better shot by using a more creative background. Maybe take a pic with it crawling out of a shoe or something.
Well, there are a couple of things I consider anytime I have any of my spiders out of their enclosures. The first being their safety - I don't want to risk them being able to fall from anywhere, etc. Also, I prefer to have either a simplistic or natural background.

I've got a few "photo tanks" that I've set up for the purpose of taking pictures - they are pretty much glorified litter boxes with some peat moss, green moss, cork bark, leaves, etc.

I've been thinking about maybe just a black velvet background, or would that be too dark overall, with the blues and black being too close together?

Most reactions

Back