First Photo Post! C&C Please!

AnneRiceBowl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been playing with my Canon EOS Rebel XS when I can (I would love to bring home the Nikon D2X I use at work) and here a few of my results. This is my first digital SLR, and my first 'real' camera. I taught myself the basics of photography with disposable cameras, and I have learned some more advanced techniques working in the studio (where I have been employed for about 2 years).

I've been delaying this posting for a few days, so please DON'T be gentle.

These are just a bit of randomness/experiments for now until I am not feeling the burn from the studio. I also have done any PP nor cropping, everything is right off the camera.

Ok, I am rambling because I am nervous. Please don't let that effect your C&C!

1. Lonely Dragon (Yes, I will be reshooting to fix the blur.)
071.jpg

2. Trying out B&W function on camera.
117.jpg

3. Again, B&W function. Note that I have astigmatism in my right eye. Is this leaning slightly to the right to anyone?
121.jpg

149.jpg

5. I just thought this was clever. =)
221.jpg

6. Here, I set my friend on fire. Fortunately, I didn't go to jail, and she's recovered from the incident.
234.jpg

7. Last...
237.jpg

Last edited:
I really like #4. Well composed shot and good coloring.

the rest I could live without. Yes #1 is OOF, but compositionally it needs work. #2 is tilted very badly to the left. #3 needs stronger contrast to be a decent B&W, it's grey. The light paintings are odd to me, no real direction to them.

The B&W feature on your camera is a marketing gimmick. Don't use it. To make a good B&W print, you need to do way more than push a button on the camera.

Looks like you have a good start, look forward to seeing more.

p!nK

LOVE #3 my fiance said it would go good in the bathroom :D and I don't notice a lean great job!!

#2 in my opinion has the most potential. The composition isn't bad and I like the strong shadows. So sorry for your astigmatism, straighten it on a photo-editing program!I also wish that the focus was clearly on the cat.

For the others, I really don't care for them. #1 is a major snapshot, think about composition and how you can make the photo of something ordinary, interesting! Eliminate things in the photo that can be distracting to the eye and detract from the photo's subject!

If you're using slow shutter speeds ESPECIALLY in low light conditions, it is imperative that you have a tripod, or else you will find that all your images are out of focus, like they are at the moment.

Have fun experimenting, explooore your surroundings!

Thank you, mrpink!

I really like #4. Well composed shot and good coloring.

That's a shot of a part of a piece of folk art that belongs to my friend. She really liked that shot as well and wants a print of this.

the rest I could live without.

Eh. I partially agree with you on that. Please refer back to my original post. I did state that these were all random and were just created from testing the new camera. The first 10,000 photos are the worst. =)

Yes #1 is OOF, but compositionally it needs work.

Yes, I agree. I'm gonna get crackin' on this because I have been wanting to do a reshoot for about a week for this little guy.

#2 is tilted very badly to the left.

You know, I didn't realize that until you pointed that out. Again, astigmatism. I am going to have to either get my eyes checked or learn to work with that.

#3 needs stronger contrast to be a decent B&W, it's grey.

I did think it was a bit bright.

The light paintings are odd to me, no real direction to them.

Totally agree with you. We were just goofin' with the camera and two Mag lights.

The B&W feature on your camera is a marketing gimmick. Don't use it. To make a good B&W print, you need to do way more than push a button on the camera.

My camera no longer has a B&W function. :D I have Photoshop CS3 Extended for making B&W photos and doing PP.

Looks like you have a good start, look forward to seeing more.

p!nK

Thank you again, p!nk!

#2 in my opinion has the most potential. The composition isn't bad and I like the strong shadows. So sorry for your astigmatism, straighten it on a photo-editing program!I also wish that the focus was clearly on the cat.

I also wish the shoes weren't on the left in the foreground. I'm not even sure where I was focusing--to be honest.

For the others, I really don't care for them. #1 is a major snapshot, think about composition and how you can make the photo of something ordinary, interesting! Eliminate things in the photo that can be distracting to the eye and detract from the photo's subject!

Will do!

If you're using slow shutter speeds ESPECIALLY in low light conditions, it is imperative that you have a tripod, or else you will find that all your images are out of focus, like they are at the moment.

A tripod is the next item to purchase, so I'm right there with you.

Have fun experimenting, explooore your surroundings!

Absolutely! I've been trying to train my eye for outside the studio.

Thank you, Sbuxo for the feedback!

Last edited:
#2 and #4 are good. #2 I would prefer to have been closer to the cat without the distracting stuff in between, and the camera was tilted slightly to the right, as you explained you have astigmatism so it's not intentional. Anyways those two have potential.

It's no trouble at all!

x

PS: I didn't even notice the shoes, lol. Also, if you get to reshoot this, move to the right so that pole won't be showing :) Or just clone it out <3

Most reactions

Back