First photo post - Swan

priceless

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

I thought I'd be brave and post in critique because I need some criticism. I can't decide whether the burnt out feathers towards the tail of the swan ruin the photo, what do you guys think? Also what do you think of the photo in general? I can't make my mind up about it. Honest comments appreciated. :mrgreen:

3f0eb10d.jpg

EOS 33V, 75-300mm, Fuji Sensia 400. Can't remember the exposure details!

Thanks in advance.

Welsome to the forum!
Beautiful shot! Such a weird pose :)!

cool capture :mrgreen:
welcome to TPF... look forward to more!

Welcome Priceless. Glad you could join us and get the nerve to post a pic. :) And no, the tail feathers being "blown out" don't ruin the shot. If I had to find a fault, it's the pics lack of sharpness. Either too slow a shutter speed, or slightly out of focus. The softness could also add to the charm of the shot. It all depends on what you were attempting to wind up with.

Welcome to the forum. :)

Do the burnt feathers ruin it? Not for me. Ok, it'd be better without them but the first thing I looked at was the swans head, then I noticed the feathers and afterwards went back to looking at its head. Seems fine to me. :)

Very nice image. Welcome to the forum.!!!

Thank you very much for the warm welcome and the comments! :mrgreen:

Regarding the softness, the picture is actually quite sharp but I scanned it as at a high resolution (3200dpi) and as I had to resize it for the net I'm only guessing that the compression has softened it. I don't know, I'm not fantastic with file sizes hehe.

Thank you though, it's nice to get some unbiased feedback. :D

Well, frst off, welcome!
I really LOVE the shot! The tones are incredibly soft and the lighting is perfect! The burn feathers don't ruin it at all, actually, it took me a while to find them, cause they don't stand out that much.
Great Great great pic!!!
:thumbup:

Thanks! I might try and post another picture up here soon. For me the burnt out highlights are still a bit of a pain but hopefully I'll get over that.

Hi there newbie ;), nice pic there, and the burnt out feathers don't spoil it for me at all, isnt it good to use the entire dynamic range? If anything i would prefere a little less black. As you scanned it did it lose some of the low tones? and couldnt you tweak it a bit and quickly lighten up some of them with a bit of photoshopping?

tim

Most reactions

Back