First photo post

Caffler

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
4021048448_af1dd9c89e_b.jpg

i'm not really new to photography but i'm a complete novice with digital stuff.
anyway this is a picture i took in drenthe in the netherlands last week.

all comments welcome.

grma
Caffler

Last edited:
nice shot. i think ur horizon is tilted slightly counter clockwise. other than that, its a pretty good shot. you could always hit it with a little contrast or dodge/burn or even throw on a highpass filter. there is a lot of fun you can have with this shot. it would probably look awesome in HDR. did you bracket any shots here?

I think the foreground weeds are loose here. Overall nice picture!
And invest in a pol filter. (something a lot are missing these days)

oh wow. i really like this picture especially with the reflection in the water.

beautiful shot! I don't do HDR myself, but I agree that this would look awesome with some mild HDR

well thanks for the comments everyone.
actually i did use a polarising filter, but i think the angle of the sun was wrong to get that deep polarised effect.
one question, a few of ye have mentioned HDR. as i said i'm a novice as far as digital photos are concerned, so could someone be kind enough to explain this technique to me?
thanks in advance.

grma
Caffler

Well the whole idea is that you use bracketing to make a couple of shots at different exposures. Then software merges them into one. For example:

Photo with very overexposured foreground , overexposured subject and correctly exposured sky
+
Photo with overexposured foreground , correctly exposured subject and underexposured sky
+
Photo with correctly exposured foreground , underexposured subject and very underexposured sky
=
Photo with correctly exposured foreground , correctly exposured subject and correctly exposured sky

I have been looking around for some good HDR software, so you won't mind if I'll wait for some software recommendations with you?

P.S. sorry for misstating your use of a POL filter.

For an HDR, PhotoMatix is a pretty nifty program to use. Im sure there is a few PhotoShop in Gimp plugins....
Or you can just layer the 3 pictures, and add layer masks.

managed to straighten the horizon out a bit, maulrat.
took me a while to work out how to do it but.
again thanks for the info everyone.
this hdr stuff sounds interesting.
canosonic
the filter didn't work very well is all,
more to do with me than the filter i think...
if i had changed my angle a bit it would probably have been better.

grma
Caffler

Last edited:
There is no reason for HDR in this photo. Unless you want to go with a cartoonish look.

Here's a very good text about it although I do not agree with the author that HDR cannot/shouldn't be used for strictly creative purposes. To each his/her own.
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/hdr-discussions/176231-hdr-not-hdr-guide.html

Most were saying "Mild" HDR, sure its still HDR but it shouldnt turn too cartoonish.

Anyways Nice shot, the reflection is very good.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back