First photos for C&C please

Daver123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone, I'm trying to get better at using my DSLR and the whole process of PP and would really appreciate any comments and criticism.

Thanks for looking!

DSC_3898_resize.jpg

DSC_3897_resize.jpg

DSC_3949_resize.jpg

DSC_3985_resize.jpg

DSC_4423_resize.jpg

DSC_5213_resize.jpg

Hi there,

1. I really like the composition of the first one. The three boats in the foreground give the whole image depth.

Maybe the saturation is little too strong but that's really personal preference.

What I was wondering is what kind of lens did you use for your shots?

In the first image I can sense some color fringing or chromatic aberration especially on the very right in the upper corner where the tree branches are.

The mood is nicely captured.

2. Nice composition but there I'm missing a some more color intensity to enhance the mood. I think these shots would be a great opportunity to test some HDR processing. Scenes like this I would bracket -1/0/+1 or -2/0/+2 and see if you lighten up the foreground a bit.

3. I think that shot was taken too wide. More zoom onto the two birds moving in the mist would have nailed that image - they seem a bit lost. Exposure is fine.

4. Hmmm, not too special IMHO. Composition is not working well here. No. 3 would have been THE shot.

5. Nice colors and focus (as much as I can tell from this preview). I'd framed this one in portrait and not horizontally with a tighter zoom. Maybe move the subject a little away from the dead center, especially is you have more out of focus background to the left or right.

6. Interesting. Somewhat unreal colors. The black and white horse is killing the picture. It doesn't separate itself much from the background. Not your fault ;). Kind of weird that the forest in the foreground is so extremely red. Not sure what you did in post and if it actually looked like this when you shot it.

I have no idea where you're coming from and if you were shooting film before but you're doing well with your new D-SRL. Exposure looks good - I just get a funny feeling about the lens...

Keep going! Good luck!

Holy cow these are beautiful! I love the colors in all of them! Can you please post up what gear you used for these? The EXIF data would also be helpful to us that are still getting our feet wet. :)

Thanks everybody for replying.

All of the photos were taken with my Nikon D300, handheld; the 1st photo using Nikkor 18-55mm F3.5-5.6, the rest with Nikkor 70-300mm f4.5-5.6G.

creisinger, for your curiosity, here is the original of photo 6:

DSC_5213_resize2.jpg

I tweaked the Saturation a bit, but the original was pretty red. Thanks again for the constructive comments.

Felix, I don't know how to post EXIF data, but I can tell you that for all but the last photo I just used Programmed Auto (P) mode. Since then I've been playing almost entirely in Manual and am enjoying much richer exposures.

Thanks again everyone for posting!

I think the second one is spectacular! Could possible use a level adjustment/ some saturation, but I love it!

1 - Great photo, composition, and colors. This one should be hung on a wall. The ONLY nitpick I have is that the branches in the upper-right corner seem out of place. It looks like these were in the foreground close to you and you got them in the frame.

2 - Decent photo, just a little flat color-wise(sky) for my tastes.

3 - Just doesn't do anything for me, your subject is too far away and hard to see.

4 - Looks slightly overexposed(washed out a bit). Not much detail visible in the birds.

5 - Good is all I have to say, don't love it, don't hate it.

6 - I just don't care for the colors here, entire photo looks slightly overexposed to me, white of the horse blends in with the field too easily.

I really love #1 & #5. In #1 -- is that an egret colored by the sky? I really feel "calm" of the day with this shot!
#5 - really love the DOF...and the dew drops are great! Thanks!

I personally enjoyed the first and last one. Especially the last.

I didn't mind the colors at all in #6. I actually found them quite pleasant. I noticed immediately how the red horse is corresponding with the warmer hues of the trees and the lower black and white horse matches the snow and darker vegetation. I really like that, and I think it's clever (even if unintentional).
That picture definitely seems the most interesting, but that's my personal taste.

The same thing goes for #1 that everyone has already said. Same with the others.

Edit: The more I look at it, the more I like #6.

Most reactions

Back