First Photos on New Digicam

xjrrrdx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
garden.jpg

garden2.jpg

These are the first few photos I have taken with my new camera. Now it is not an expensive DSLR or anything it is a Nikon 7900. On both photos I had the vivid setting turned on and I think that may have been a little too much, that and I tried my hand at some PS editing, the top image is manual adjustments, the bottom is PS auto adjustments. I have the originals untouched if that would help a little bit more. I am just trying to get an opinion of the quality and such and a few pointers here and there. I think the shadow gets in the way of the little angels face myself.

I have 2 more I would like to share but the rules say I can only do one at a time unless its a comparitive.

Thanks a Lot!!

the leaves in the foreground are distracting IMO and the sky is way blown out in the first. i would try reshooting the second with out the leaves and the first at a different time of day. i like the angle though

I moved this to the general gallery so you can get a more general critique as noted in the gallery descriptions.

The blown out sky is because you were metering from the center of the picture, which most all cameras do. The best way to avoid blowing out the sky is to either crop the picture so the sky isn't in the frame or manually set the camera so that you are metering off of the brightest part of the frame. Either way is good. I like your DOF and subject in the second picture, it keeps me searching around the frame, looking for more. Good work and welcome to the forum!

Well my last note on this would be, i dont think I can manually change my meter since its still your "point and shoot" no "real" manual settings. Could this be done by focusing the camera first in the sky then move the camera to the subject? Or would this come off as blurry or dark.

If it is a point and shoot and you don't know how to metre manually, you can still point the camera at the sky instead of the flowers, let it metre that, and move the camera back to where you want to take your photo with the shutter half-pressed, just as you are suggesting yourself. The flowers might come off a bit darker, and maybe you will have to test out different points of metering and take several photos to later choose the best. That's the fun side of digital photography: you have so many options of going wrong and STILL arriving at what looks best to you without any waste of material.

Most reactions

Back